Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

An interesting (relatively) subject cropped up today, a friend of mine with a Subaru Imprezza got pulled last night for driving with his front fogs lights on (when it was not foggy) and got a £30 fixed fine. .
This lead to a discussion about front fogs / driving lights. From this I gather that SAAB 9000's or at least Aero's are fitted with front driving lights due to the fact that there is no illumination on the dash when they are switched on (or my bulb has blown) and that the illustration on the switch shows the angle of the beam pointed downwards.

Does anyone have any thoughts / comments about this?

Jon

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
AFAIK Fog Lamps can be illuminated on dipped beam or dim-dip sidelights/running lights and should be used when driving in seriously impaired visibility conditions such as falling snow or fog reducing visibility to less than 100 yards.

Driving lights are illuminated only when on full beam and can be used anytime where you would expect to use full beam.

Of course - this is only my understanding and I have not checked it - I am sure someone can clarify this.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The rules as I understand them.

Any forward facing light mounted with its centre less than 2 feet from the ground can only be used in conditions of fog or falling snow. (May only apply to bulbs above 21 watts.)

Front lights must be mounted in pairs symmetrically about the centre line of the car, with centres at least 14 inches apart.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Oh!

.....and any lights whether original equipment or aftermarket must work. This applies whether it's dark or not - so it's an offence to have a faulty bulb even if you haven't got the light switched on. And no dummy rally lights.........

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Are they fog lamps or driving lamps?
(I would expect driving lamps to be positioned higher than the ones within the bumper on the scooby)

Here's some info I found here

Front Fog
Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Max height 1200mm
No minimum height
A vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 needs an approval mark

Optional Front Dipped Beam Headlights (Driving lights?)
wired so that only 1 pair of dipped beam headlights can be displayed at one time.
500mm minimum height
1200mm max height
not required to have approval mark

But BEST way to tell is look at the markings on the lens if it has a B it is a fog lamp. (European approval marks)
If it has a C or an R it is an optional headlamp - although if it is, it doesn't need to be marked.
If it is below 500mm it should only be a fog lamp but I would still rely on the e-mark on the glass.
If unsure and lights on consider offences :
- display fog lamps otherwise than in seriously reduced visibility - Reg 27 or
- fail to conform to schedules (optional lamp) - reg 20

European approval marks

C Dipped-beam headlamp
R Main-beam headlamp
S Sealed-beam headlamp
H Halogen headlamp
B Front fog lamp (white or yellow)
B or F Rear fog lamp (red)
HCR Halogen headlamp emitting both main and dipped-beam

"Below the knee it needs a B"

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If it is below 500mm it should only be a fog lamp but I would still rely on the e-mark on the glass.[/b]
All Carlssons came standard with driving lamps (mainbeam only) and were all below 500mm (on mine the botton is 220mm and the top 290mm).

Fathers CDE and other saabs had optional driving lamps in the same position (but obviously a few mm higher due to their substandard suspensions ).

Andrew

·
Registered
330 Posts
So, i guess at the moment i am driving my car outside of what the law allows,due to the fact that my headlamp which got knocked out (in my recent encounter with a lorry) resides in the boot,(along with remains of grille ) so i chose
to put the fog/driving lamps on to show the where the o/s of the car is,rather than blind every-one with a MAJOR out of line headlamp (which was rubbing on the poly-v belt,hence it being in the boot!).
Sometimes you just can't win

·
Registered
174 Posts
While we're on the subject, (and legality in various jurisdictions, aside) any thoughts on yellow vs. white lenses for fog lights? I'm about to install a pair of Hella Pilot 150s with yellow lenses because I think (hope?) they're better in snow and fog.
Anyone know if yellow lenses are legal in Alberta (Canada)?
Rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts