Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have jus purchased a nice LPT Anniversary in silver and want to start personalising it to my tastes.
1. I want to fit 17 inch wheels along with a suspension kit.
Anyone recommend nice styles that would suit a silver car, that don't cost a fortune - Anyone have any pics.
2. The head unit is the orginal, there is no CD player in the boot, so I want to replace with a single CD player, that will work with the underseat amp. Any recommendations.
Cheers
Mick

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by mikey:
[qb]1. I want to fit 17 inch wheels along with a suspension kit.
2. The head unit is the orginal, there is no  CD player in the boot, so I want to replace with a single CD player, that will work with the underseat amp. [/qb][/b]
On wheels, I like the ones Injectie fitted. See here

On the head unit, IMO the amp's not up to much - just fit a decent head unit and forget using the underseat amp.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
What are the specifications and tyre sizes needed for 17 inch wheels with a suspension drop of 30 -40mm.
Sorry about spelling in earlier mail - typing too fast.
Cheers
Mick

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Mikey,
7 or 7.5" width rims will fit with 215/45/17 tyres. I had quite low springs on, now replaced with slightly higher Abbott examples and had no problems. ET (offset) wants to be close to 30mm. PCD 4x108mm.
I like both of these....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Mikey
Unless you want a 42" base box in boot, forget about replacing head unit. I would stick with original head unit and amp under seat and look for a single cd on ebay. The whole unit was made for the 9000 cabin -the sound is superb and beats any £600 units in other cars I've had.
I bought the rad/cas, single cd + loom and instructions on ebay for £60 -it replaced the sony head and the diff is very good. Trust saab -they knew what they were doing!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I continue to be surprised that modern car owners are still locked in to CD single slot or multichangers with all the attendant plumbing work. mp3 players are the way to go. A single 800mB disc holds about the same as a 10Cd stacker (in mp3 format) all accessed from the display menu on the head unit and at typically 4 X 45Watt, why the need for an amp unless you're a total headbanger..........

Hopefully, there are no download police who own saabs and lurk here 'cos all my compilations are bought pukka, honest.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok the wheels 7J x17 ET 45 (with 20 mm spacers creating an ET of 25).
In order to answer you're PB mikey the brakesar standard calipers on Cross drilled discs (By a local supplier. Which uses Brembo discs as starting point )with EBC Red Stuff pads. On the Rear I'm rolling on EBC discs with Green Stuff Pads. (Red stuff wasn't available)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Even better, get a dash DVD player which will also play MP3's from DVD-R's, burn all your own cd collection (perfectly legal as long as you own the cd and are not passing on the data to others) onto DVD's. I have my entire collection ripped onto 4 DVD's (plays for about a week without repeating). This takes up a lot less space in the car than carrying hundreds of cd's....

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]How do you add an image on a Mac to a post? [/qb][/b]
When you reply, there's a selection of buttons below the typing window. The bottom right of these is lablled "IMAGE". Click on this then paste the URL of the image in to the pop up window.

HTH

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes - there the ones.

Been talking to someone today who says from a looks point of view I would be better off fitting 18 inch wheels as the fill the wheel arches better. If fitted with a quality tyre then comfort is not a problem.
Anyone running 18's on a 9000 - I do like the Type M's though.
Mick

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]Anyone running 18's on a 9000 [/qb][/b]
Yup, 18's with 40mm drop suspension
. Recommended tyres are 215/40/18, although if the rims are 7.5" you can fit 225/40/18, but you need to be careful with the offset.

TBH, comfort is not good. I've taken the poly bushes out of my front suspension to offset the harshness.

But, on a good road, the feel is wonderful.

And they do fill the arches rather nicely...

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you go for 18's I'd be sure to by a good quality wheel as [expletive deleted] ones will buckle.

I should know as I managed to buckle four Kahn RSR's in two years!

Got so fed up with them and the [expletive deleted] ride that I've put the original 16's back on.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you're looking for a great head unit, I would recommend the Blaupunkt Bremen.

The gadgets you get with it allow you to tune the sound in the cabin. The DSPs also adjust the sound dynamics to suit the driving condition as it monitors it through a strategically located mic in the cabin.

Plugged my laptop in, tuned it to suit my taste...and blimey...does it sound better than anything else I've since tried.

If you're just looking for decent adio...and you're in the right part o the country....go for the Blaupunkt DAB54 unit. DAB Radio is unbeatable!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just got these put on yesterday. A phone call to Compomotive with the model of car and they did the rest. Haven't noticed any rubbing, but still running the tyres in. Finish isn't great but the difference in feel is worth the change. Also, Compomotive supply blue centre caps which I don't like, so I left them off whilst I find an alternative.

The wheels are 17 x 7.5 and the tyres are Bridgestone SO3 225/45ZR17. I thought the ride may be harsh with the SO3's on a lower profile but it actually feels better. The car has poly bushes everywhere and the Abbott Koni kit on, so it's been lowered by some mm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.