Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple problem, but an old chestnut.

All I want to do is replace the front disc pads on my CSE. The wheel nuts were last put on by a garage who used on air rachet. The trouble is that I need to be Superman's big brother in order to get anywhere near the possibility of loosening them one iota. I suppose the obvious solution is to go back to the garage and get them to loosen them, and, no doubt, they would be most willing to releive me of some cash to replace the pads for me, while they are at it, which in a way, defeats the whole object. I'll be damned if I have to do this everytime.

The thought has since occured to me, that if I should get a flat on the open road, in the middle of no-where, it seems so stupid to have to phone the motoring services to change a tyre, because the wheel nuts are almost welded on.

Has anyone any tips?

·
Registered
79 Posts
A litle late now ..... bu after the same happened to me many years ago, I always loosen then re-tighten the nuts by hand before leaving the garage (this has caused smoe strange looks at those hi speed street merchants!). If you cannot loosen them there at least you do not have far to go to find an air wrench!!!
Another things springs to mind though - if you have alloy wheels, this sort of overtightening can damage them (I seem to remember. The policy I adopt with alloys is to torque them up and then check them again after 100 miles or so (again the old problem of checking torqued nuts without tightening them further - any sggestions?. Hope this is of help.
Derrick

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
A simple solution I use is to extend the standard wheel brace using a 2 - 3" length of sturdy piping placed over the end of the brace. Thus giving you a lot more leverage.

Just make sure the wheel brace is firmly connected to the nut as it's very easy to round the nut if you slip.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, chaps.

I am a little concerned that the alloys may have been damamaged in someway, because of over-tightening, and shall have a look once they are off.

Some years ago, before the widespread use of air rachets, I had a similar problem with a nut that simply refused to budge, after trying the usual tricks. The only course of action then was to place a socket on the nut, slip the end of a lenghty torque wrench inside one end of a scaffold pole, whilst the other end touched the ground, and gently move the car to then loosen the wheel nut off a little.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Halfords did sell a "Spider " wheel brace,which I find solves the problem and is easier and safer to use,saves on scuffed nuckles as well.Europarts have a electric wrench in their catalogue ,dont know how good it is though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.