Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question, with hopefully a simple y/n answer...

Can alloy wheels from a 9-3 fit onto a 9-5? (Specifically 18")

Also, a 2nd question, what's the best size 18" tyre for a 9-5.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 18 inch 9-3SS wheels will fit on the 9-5, BUT they have a different offset: ET41 (or ET42, I'm not sure) instead of ET49 used on the 9-5.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Hanm:
[qb]The 18 inch 9-3SS wheels will fit on the 9-5, BUT they have a different offset: ET41 (or ET42, I'm not sure) instead of ET49 used on the 9-5. [/qb][/b]
Which means they won't be able to be set to the correct track width and will almost certaily rub. You can use a wheel with a larger ET than stock and compnestae for it by using spacers, but not the other way round.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Except when the 18s on the 9-3SS are half an inch or 1" wider than the 17s on the 9-5. For the c900 (and 9000), the Saab wheels are:

5.5 x 15", ET 40
6.0 x 15", ET 33
6.5 x 16", ET 27

Note that for every half an inch of additional wheel width, the ET value drops by 6-7 to ensure the extra width is evenly distributed on both sides of the hub, preserving the original track width.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Well said, Eric, I didn't have my brain in earlier- as evinced by the lousy spelling of compensate! You must indeed decrease your ET by half the increase in wheel width to maintain the correct track

So, it sounds like the 9-3ss wheels will probably fit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels are off a 'classic' 9-3 rather than the brand new 9-3SS.

Not heard back from the seller so it's all hypothetical for the moment...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've used a few different combinations, all on Saab 9-5 Estates. Best fit was by far Fondmetal 9A 18x8" with 225/40-18 tyres. The car was fitted with Eibach springs, approx. 30 mm lower than standard. No problem at all with wear or clearence, even when loaded with people or luggage. Downside is that they no longer make these alloys

Have also used AEZ Bimo 18x8,5" with 225/40-18. They had some of a clearence problem on the front wheels. Especially on uneven roads.

Third setup is BBS Challenge 19x8,5" with 235/35-19. There is for sure a clearence problem on the rear wheels. There's a plastic trim on the rear wheel arches, and they have a hard time
No problems when driving alone or with light luggage/passengers, but not to be used with full load. Car is still running on standard Aero shock absorbers (with Eibach springs). Guess that it will help a little by fitting harder shocks.

Cheers,
Stefan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts