Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel colours

Sometime ago there was a thread running that discussed the proper colour for spraying alloys,I am sure the colour that came out tops was a Ford colour,anyone remember?
mike

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Re: Wheel colours

Originally posted by stupot:
[qb]how about the highly polished rims on the super aeros   i am in the same boat but only need the rims re-finishing  what is the best product for this    [/qb][/b]
Fine wire wool then brasso...

Clean and apply lacquer.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts

Originally posted by Julian:
[qb]Ford Platinum Metallic?[/qb][/b]
I have used Saab Silver (247) successfully to touch in very embarrassing kerb damage I inflicted on the brand new wheels on a friend's C900 (yes, I did own up). The repair was a perfect match. Halfords sell a touch-up that is an exact match if you can't wait for your Saab dealer to order the official item. I have used both and they are indistinguishable.

I believe the "bright" silver Saab wheels (as opposed to grey metallic ones) are Saab 247.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

Just FYI - I can confirm that 247 is very good but not exact match for the Aero alloys. The Saab 247 has a slightly grey'er element to it so I'll try the ford paint advice next time.
That said, I only did the out edge (carefully masking the rest) and from more than 2 ft away the difference in shade is not really detectable. You would notice it if you touched up in patches on the flat areas though.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I found an exact match for Saab alloys - my 94 9000 CSE has standard alloys (directional aeros or something? never been sure what they are called) and when i picked the car up, the centre caps were badly peeled and looked [email protected] Not being overly fussed with getting an exact match I simply went to my local B&Q and bought the only spray can of silver paint I could see. Didn't expect it to be very good - but it is an exact match. Now, going from the sublime to the utterly ludicrous - i've just dug out the tin adn found that it's silver tile paint... Plasti-kote No 3061. Am I going straight to hell for putting that on a Saab?

Thought it might be helpful to some of you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts