Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a wheel bearing (2.3T MY97 Auto). No problem 'turning left' but noise starts 'turning right' i.e entering roundabouts and on roundabouts its a bit noisey, no problem leaving them.

Not a bad noise and impossible to tell which wheel its from by being in the car. I'll jack it up this weekend just wondered if any one could point me in the right direction or could it be any wheel?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It sounds as though most likely front if it occurs when turning and I think that if on drivers side you would be able to determin where the noise was through your footwell so most likely nearside - best way to jack up front of car as you say and check each side for play or roughness. I think when they get noisy you should be able to feel some play.
I had a rear bearing go which was a bu66er to track down even though behind me on driver's side. Even Saab dealer were unable to determin.
Job is not too difficult to do though driveshaft has to come out of hub and you need a 'big' torque wrench to tighten centre nut again.
Regrads
Mike

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
If you have or can borrow a big torque wrench (at least 300Nm) and a 32mm socket, it's worth checking the tightness of the driveshaft nuts. With the wheel on the ground and centre cap removed (and the handbrake on!) tweak it up to 290Nm (215lbft). Don't go much higher than that - it's possible to damage the hub unit (don't ask how I know
).

·
Registered
138 Posts
If the noise is more apparent when turning right then I would suggest the nearside front wheel bearing to be the suspect as it is under more load when turning right and as a result there would be less load on that bearing when turning left as the weight transfers to the right hand side of the car, making less noise, hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.