Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Couldn't get yours to work, aerosaaber. I'm probably missing part of the Quicktime plugin. However, here's a video where you can hear my '96 Aero from the inside (11MB), and another one from outside (0.5MB)

I also have a K&N and full JT 3" system, along with a Maptun upgrade giving around 300hp and 330lbft torque. The exhaust sound inside the car was a lot less pronounced before I fitted the poly upper engine mounts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to get my friend (with the cam) to convert the file to mp3 (people like that better than .mov anyway)
Your's sounds nice BTW.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a catback system with a Turbo muffler and Saab performance tip. Sounds really nice but only when you are really on it. Bill, why do you think its louder after the poly bushes on the dogbone?
I am installing one this weekend and will let you know if I experiance the same thing after the install.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Griffin #341:
[qb]Bill, why do you think its louder after the poly bushes on the dogbone?[/qb][/b]
Well, I'd had the rear bush in poly for over a year and not noticed any difference. After the LSD and poly transmission bush were fitted, I was getting wheel-tramp at the limit of traction in 2nd gear which was causing the engine to rattle back and forth. All the strain was being taken by the softest mounting, which was the front upper mount. So I replaced it with poly. Everything holds steady now under acceleration, but the first thing I noticed was a lot more vibration at idle. When I took the car on the road, the exhaust was quite a bit louder too. I reckon the noise is conducted through the stiffer mounts and into the car body.

When driving enthusiastically, it sounds good. I have the luxury of another, unmodified 9000 for long journeys at motorway speeds so I can cruise in quiet comfort.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I too have a JT exhaust, which does sound great. However, when the car is loaded up, it can get a little loud at motorway speeds. Apart from that, I am very please with the results & when you do really floor the throttle, it makes an impressive sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts