Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '97 CSe Anniversary auto. Under the driver's seat there's some sort of box. Looks like an amp or something. What is it? Should I be using it?

(I've got a non-Saab head unit currently)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes it's a power amp for the standard fit audio. Same on both my 96 and 97 models. Has 'made for SAAB by Nokia' on them. Didn't know Nokia also did audio. Curious as boot mounted changer is Clarion, so I assume unbadged dash unit is also.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Nokia started off making woodpulp/paper! They are one of those big conglomerate-type companies that make loads of things. It just happens that they became famous for their phones.

They have been involved in paper, rubber, cables, electronics, IT as well as telecomms.

Have look at this history.

Nokia, by the way, is the name of the place in Finland where the first factory was.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My 96 Aero has an amp under the seat which has now been bypassed with a 'high power' head unit. To be quite honest I think the amp will still be a better quality item than that in the head unit, but before I start hacking the cables to set it up, does anyone know the spec?
It's supposed to be something like 4*36W .. but is that RMS? Anyother details would be much appreciated.
PS - I had assumed it was clarion...interesting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine had a Clarion unit under the seat - its not badged as one but I spoke to Clarion UK with the reference number that was on it. Its 4 x 32 watt amp which is MPO not RMS. Its not worth hacking the cables - the quality of the amp being of the balanced type is superb but its not high enough RMS. I played around with the wiring and run this amp but you are better of putting another amp in the boot - run the front speakers off the head unit and the rear speakers and sub of a seperate amp.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks - been looking for that info. for ages! The headunit I have is rated at 53W max and 34RMS, which on paper is quite heathy but has nowhere near the control, power and detail of the denon amp I used to run which was rated at only 6watts more per channel.
I'm having the predictable problems with small front speakers and large rear ones - its all fine until someone sits in the back and gets loads of muffled bass form those units buried about 2ft down. Might try the more cost effective 2/3 channel amp approach for the backs and run the front units off the head unit. Some front door mounted 6" units would do the trick nicely hmmm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.