Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
regarding the message that i posted the other day (9000 CSE 2.3T).Firstly thanks for the replies, i can now go armed with a list of checks (and may even appear to know what i'm on with!). I have just been in contact with the Saab dealers who have serviced the car from new.Last service only 3000 miles ago(135k)(two new tyres, wheel bearings, suspension bushes,otherwise perfect.)Told me all about the cars histoy, company owned lots of money spent,money no object etc...BUT! auto box has never req'd any attention and the chains are the original set!.Listening to the car the other day everyhing sounds fine,no hint of a rattle as descibed in this bulletin board, will double and treble check auto box,(also as described elsewhere in this BB,great source of info!!)BUT considering the stories and costs! associated with these two items, what would i be letting myself in for?, and would you still buy the car??. got to decide within the next couple of days. Again any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
How lucky do you feel?
Seriously, its impossible to say. Chains/sprockets/guides only need changing when they wear so much that they begin to make a noise some wear sooner than others. I would expect that they will need doing between now and 200k - it is an experienced DIY job and the parts will cost approx £300 from somewhere like Eurocarparts.
Gearbox - well it may be that it will be sound for the entire vehicle life, depends very much on how its been driven.
I think that all you can do is be aware of the possible cost, balance that with the price of the car (negotiate it down based on these issues - print off Townsends web-site details of expected part life) and any other similar cars and their price/service history.
The other thing to remember is that if the car has spent its life charging up and down the motorway the engine and gearbox will not be anywhere near as worn as a car that has done 140k on the school run.
The choice as they say is yours!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Carpy,

Re. auto box. Saab seem to have certainly improved reliability on the newer auto boxes. The Technical Co-ordinator (Richard Elliot) ran a brief "what to look for on 900's" (which included 9000 common parts like auto boxes), in the Jan/Feb edition of the SoC DRIVER magazine. Richard stated that the auto box was good for 200,000 miles these days before a major overhall was likely. (The dealers say 150k, but that was for older cars in my experience too) I bought a 98R 2L Eco CSE with auto box in Dec with 90k miles - because the box was as sweet as a nut and so smooth! The 9-5 is supposed to be even better!

A 9-5 with 140k on it has averaged a high annual milage, which means ware and tear is 'much' less than on an older car of the same milage. Bearing in mind that it is the 'cold starts' and hard accelleration and breaking that brings most wear. Not much of this normally happens on a high milage motorway cruser.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts