Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am toying with the idea of changing my wheels. I have a 2.3t AnnEd and have asked about what size it can take. Now I still have original suspension setup but am looking at changing to lowered and stiffened springs and dampaners from our friends @ Abbot.

I have been told to go no bigger that 17", but I really wanna go to 18's. I would like to get the wheels first but think its a bad idea as I should really get the suspension done first.

Advice would be appreciated...

Cheers.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Personally, I would stick with 17's- unless you live and do most of your driving on good quality roads.

The problem with going for 18s on a 9000 is that the basic original design wheel diameter was not big for the size of car- so to maintain compatibility as you increase wheel size you end up with ever decreasing amounts of tyre wall, which amounts to twitchy, uncomfortable handling on less than perfect roads.

There's also a cost drawback- apart from the fact that 18" wheels cost more than 17"s, the tyres are also more expensive, you range becomes more limited as the profile reduces.

I've driven a couple of 9000s on 18s and wasn't really happy with the handling. They suffered a lot from tramlining and I was forever worried about damaging them on kerbs or holes in the road. I've settled on 17's which seems to be the preferred option for most 9000 owners. In many cases 18" wheels have been fitted in order to accommodate larger brakes, but there are a number of designs in 17" that will work with 330mm discs and 4 pot calipers.

·
Registered
285 Posts
so if you go to 17' what size tire are you running on them? ...and do you change the wheels and tires for the winter ? what do you suggest for the winter...i am currently running 16"s with a 205x55x16 potenza tires

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.