Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first posting on this site.
I am going to have to replace my Mreg Cavalier due to constantly having to replace ECU sensors. I rather like the idea of a Saab but are there any things to look out for, such as engine management gremlins. I dont mind replacing things that wear out but my Vauxhall experience has made me wish I'd asked asimilar question before buying that. Any guidance and model recommendations appreciated. This is very much areplacement for a Cavalier so I'd resist the temptations of Carlsons or similar.
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Mmmmnnnn........
If it's a replacement for a Cavalier then don't go for a 93-97 'new' shape 900, as that'll remind you of it, although one of these is still better than a Cavalier.
It does depend on what youv'e got to spend. I guess from the fact that you've posted this on the 9000 pages your're looking at a 9000. Best bet in my humble opinion, if performance isn't so important, would be a late 9000 CSE 2.3 ECO Anniversary.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Chris,
My experience of Saabs over the past nine years is that they don't let you down in the 'Fails to get you where you wish to go' sense, but and it is a big BUT, they do cost a pretty penny to maintain in a good condition......
I've never had any ECU related problems but did pay out for a new Direct Ignition unit when mine became a bit hesitant.
My professional opinion of Saab electrics is that they're a leauge ahead of other manufacturers.
Gearbox problems, both manual and automatic are probably the nastiest (read costliest) common problem. Oh and the 2.3 engines' timing/ balance shaft chains, if left in a poor state for too long go from being a medium sized job to a major engine rebuild if they let go before replacement.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Chris, I used to be a vauxhall man (3 Astra GTE's, senator) but changed to SAABs. A few thoughts would be
1. Buy a turbo as opposed to a normally aspirated engine. They are more fun, no worse on fuel and no less reliable.
2. SAAB electrics are good quality. My Senator made me almost suicidal with its problems
3. Be prepared to consider high milages, this consequently makes them cheaper. Service history (not neccessarily from main dealer) is important.
4. I agree a 9000 CSE 2.3 ECO would be a good buy. I have one (wifes) and they are very comfortable - climate control, criuse control, trip computer etc etc. They will do illegal speeds on the motorway all day (if you want to).
5. Faults - see above comments. When they do go wrong they can be v. expensive. I buy mainly seconhand spares and where ever possible do jobs myself of because they are not too complicated (normally) take them to the small local garage.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I posted it on the 9000 site as I figured this would be most suitable regarding cost of replacing Cav. I do not do a high mleage but do like to think that wife has reliable transport when I am away. Any other suggestions welcome I shall start looking seriously on my return home next week.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you can do work on cars yourself a high miler isn't bad value. I've just bought a 2.3 Turbo Auto with 184,000 miles on the clock, and no real problems apart from front discs. And the engine is still sweet.

Happy hunting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts