Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else know what's going on here? This seems to have become a club for Kevin and 'interesting' people he's picked up whilst cruising the internet or am I being over sensitive here?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Try not to read my response wrongly - I have taken this as constructive criticism, and this is my view - written in a chilled, though a tad deflated mood. Here goes:

I hope not!

I've just seen people posting on other Saab boards asking 9000 queries - and I've pointed them in this boards direction, as it is one of the best 9000 boards on the net.

You'll have to bear with them if they are too enthusiastic about off topic threads. I will guide them onto the Miscellaneous board for non 9000 items. Obviously, if we can upgrade the scripts, this will be easier, as I would be able to move threads to the relevant boards.

I certainly don't want this to be a board for me - I just want to get as many people using this board for 9000 queries as possible. Obviously it is a balance between getting pure 9000 Tech questions, and everyone and his dog posting about anything and everything.

I am just another contributor to the board who happens to be a moderator. I cannot see a problem with anyone posting to this board so long as it is related to Saab 9000's - I cannot vet what people write, or even edit anything that is written - I cannot even see email addresses, so I cannot post to people "offlist" to guide them in the right direction without it being posted on the boards for all to see.

I would far rather see over enthusiastic posts than the petty bickering that seems to go on on these boards from time to time - there will be the odd silly thread, but on the whole I think this board is still an excellent Saab resource.

If anyone wants to ask a Saab related query on this board - I welcome that. If you all think that is wrong, then I am happy to step down and someone else take my place as moderator! I do this because I enjoy it - I enjoy the banter - I thought other people did too. Or am I wrong?

It is very difficult to know what to write here - suffice to say that there will be a variety of people accross a variety of cultures, and ages, wanting to talk Saab. This variety will always spark discussion - and I think that is healthy. I see the increase in threads on these boards as an indication of life. Getting carried away now! ;-)

I cannot please everybody. The criticism is good as we need to know if we are doing things wrongly, but believe we must go with the majority view of what people want.

What does everyone else think? This is your board, and it is up to everyone collectively as to which direction it should take.

PS. That wasn't a rant - I was totally chilled when waffling away!

Kevin Mc
Saab Enthusiast and totally incompetent under the bonnet!

G

·
I have noticed that Kevin is quite active on these boards, but I have just put that down to his obvious enthusiasm for Saabs.

Perhaps he will quieten down a bit so we see everyone elses posts a bit more clearly.

The main thing is that we are all sensible about this - which I believe we are

RR

·
Registered
187 Posts
personaly i think kevin has done a good job at livining up the board.

his enthusiasum for saabs is obvious, and is very friendly at welcoming new people to the board.

the idea of the meets is a good idea, faces to names,cars e.tc.

keep up the posting kevin, i for 1 appreciate your input be it technical or light hearted. (oh and excuse my c**p spelling)!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offence intended to either Kevin or the American Bloke (sorry mate but that is a bugger of a name to type!!) and I agree completely with renfield - ie enthusiasm is great - but, and this is only my opinion, if you don't know the answer to a question you shouldn't feel obligated to answer...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What's wrong with Kevin posting so much. At least he starts a lot of threads off that people contribute to. Yes it's a SAAB 9000 board but is there anything wrong with going off topic now and again. I for one can't see anything wrong - i quite enjoy reading the threads and learning things about other countries/cars etc.

Neil

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing, Kevin is trying new things on here and more power to the man for bothering to do it - surely if no one gives him a bit of feedback tho he's never going to know what works and what doesn't.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
for [expletive deleted]'s sake - either you have a piss-boring techie site discussing torque wrench settings like that wanker 9000 t-16 wants - or you inject some life into the proceedings which Kevin does in fine style.

things should be alive not dead.

I look at saab owners' postings and I wonder if they're dead and buried.

Stop being such old [expletive deleted].

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE:No offence intended to either Kevin or the American Bloke (sorry mate but that is a bugger of a name to type!!)

Hey,none taken.As a matter of fact im changing it right after I finish writing this(it is kind of an eyesore).

NEXT-> Dave Beddows posted 01-04-2002 21:44 UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone else know what's going on here? This seems to have become a club for Kevin and 'interesting' people he's picked up whilst cruising the internet or am I being over sensitive here?
UsTuRbOsAaB posted 01-04-2002 22:04 UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This wouldn't have anything to do with me?? Would it??
---------------------------------------------

I was only thinking that due to my rants yesterday on the RX-7. Sorry about that,...next time I want to rant on an off-topic subject I'll take it to the misc. forum =^)

Justin

G

·
FWIW I think Dave was correct to make his view known, and I am pleased that it has not led to a falling out between him, Kevin and AmEr1CaN b10kE with a bugger of a name to type.

I can appreciate blackcarlsson's sentiments althought not the language he chooses to convey them. Let's not get into personal attacks again - that is why that other thread went awry.

Let's keep it friendly and in context can we? This is a great place to get all sorts of info from like-minded people and I would like to thank you all for that.

RR

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I would far rather see over enthusiastic posts than the petty bickering that seems to go on on these boards from time to time - there will be the odd silly thread, but on the whole I think this board is still an excellent Saab resource.[/b]
It is, after all, a general discussion forum for all this related to the Saab 9000 isn't it? I have no problems at all with Kevin's moderation.

I am guilty of firing a few wide of the mark responses to genuine technical queries at times. After all, I'm an IT bloke, not a racecar builder ;o) Personally speaking, if I post a technical query I would rather get 10 contrary responses than nothing at all.

Nothing wrong with the silly banter either, you should check out the scoobynet forums if you think this one gets silly.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This is the real world, with a wide variety of opinions and attitudes, and every one of them valid - to some degree or other.

Kevin has worked hard to kick some extra life into this area and more power to his elbow (foot). Sure, there are some topics raised by him (and others) that don't move me to contribute, but that's fine. We've all raised topics that haven't got a bite, and others where discussion has gone on for ages. But if nobody raises any topics then the system would fail. A prime example, as blackcarlsson says, is the SOC website: one can hear just the wind blowing and the only sign of life is the tumbleweed rolling past.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For what it's worth, I think Kevin does a good job on here and I enjoy this BB very much.My preference is the techie questions and trying to help fellow enthusiasts.I don't remember anyone getting upset about some other, well responded to, posts such as which car did you pass your test in (no offence to originator).I don't remember signing an agreement to only post serious stuff either.If the posts are not your thing or too long or trivial,don't click on them again.I amazed that people are getting so wound up.BB rage, that's a new one!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Justin - your new alias is just as bad as the old one! ;-) I just cut and paste your name in!

Sounds like there is a cross section of views as you would expect.

Throwing Politcal Correctness to the wind - I agree with BlackCarlsson (but without the language and personal attacks! Don't want you two to kick off again!) ;-) I think a pure techie forum would be a great resource, but hugely dull, and could potentially put off new people from joining - it works the other way too, with a forum that is too off-topic, that will put the mechanics who can answer the questions. Need to find a balance, though I think we are already doing that. The use of the "Miscellaneous" board has moved some of the non-relevant threads away, but keeps the banter going for those who want it.

At least with the Bulletin Board format, it is very easy to ignore the threads / posts you do not want to read, as opposed to one that generates email, which swamps your inbox.

The Miscellaneous board had been very stagnant at 150 posts, though this has gone up to well over 500 posts (in three weeks) - so there is definately a demand.

Dave:
surely if no one gives him a bit of feedback tho he's never going to know what works and what doesn't.....[/b]
You are right to point this out, as the forum is for everyone, though in finding the right balance (as I mentioned above) we won't please everyone all of the time.

As 1989agoodvintage points out:
Nothing wrong with the silly banter either, you should check out the scoobynet forums if you think this one gets silly.[/b]
I can't really say a lot to add to that (I am a regular visitor!)

Hope that all reads ok - as I can't re-check it (got to do some work!!)

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
763 Posts
Stop being silly, abusive and selfish! Start using this board constructively and to the benefit of all users/contributors...talk about anything as far as it relates to SAAB 9000! Kevin's doing a swell job being a moderator!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Think I'll have to step back in as Moderator before you lot get out of hand!

This board is working well as it is, though everyone needs to respect others points of view, to keep it that way.

We are only human, everyone is different, but is exactly this variety that keeps the board alive and interesting.

Anything off topic, post on the Miscellaneous board - this is being used, so your post will be seen.

Keep it chilled - keep it Saab!

I look forward to meeting some of you on Sunday!

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
354 Posts
Where on sunday and what are the plans.

2 new topics

1. Well done Kevin. You are doing well!
2. How about we have somewhere we could post pics of our car. A few of you have done it but if we all did, wouldn't it slow down the opening of threads with loads of photos? I have some digi photos of my aero on my PC and will show them if anyone's interested in this sort of thing but where should I do it and how (I do not have a web page)?

JuLiAn

1 - 20 of 25 Posts