Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some bits and bobs for the cse today, rear spoiler as the rear looked a bit naked compaired to the cc, a new decor panel, and a walnut gear surround, got them fitted which only took a hour, then went for a spin to make sure the spoiler was ok, when overtaking a bus " what the [email protected]$k was that",out the back the bus had disappeared in a cloud of smoke/steam, engine felt ok so nursed it back to the house and just as i got to the drive the temp went from just above the blue to just below the red, opened the bonnet to be met with couds of steam. Once it had cleared i had a good look at the hoses and could not see anything so refilled the water tank and started her up, nothing,no water anywhere, so i let her warm up and gave the engine some revs, water spraying out from one of the pipes going through the firewall to the heater matrix. Now i have had to do one before and it just about killed me so i had a look at the hose and it had split at the clip, so out with a knife, cut the hose and into boiling water and forced it back on to the union, clip back on and it has been ok thank god.The last time i took the motor of for the air cond it took me 3 hours and i was never very sure how i managed it .Any way its back on the road and with the new spoiler an other bits i have just about doubled the value of the car

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i thought when it happened,later on looking back on it i had to laugh, i could see the bus behind me when i went round the corner,wipers on trying to clear the fog that was pouring from the 9000 as the water was hitting the exhaust (why does that word never look right) just glad it happened so close to home.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i had the same on an old opel ascona i had years ago.mine was also a matrix hose split.doin a ton when it went. scared the [expletive deleted] out of me when i looked in the mirror,but the look on the other guys face i was goin round was a picture!!

simon

·
Registered
706 Posts
Although not as spectacular, I had the main hose go on my old Carlton GSI, as the hose ages it sags, the makes gentle contact with the radiotor fan (viscous type) which wears a nice smooth hole until it finaly lets go.
Luckily I was only a mile or so from home, so I just drove slowly to make sure nothing cooked.

Skiddins

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Typical thing to go on 9-3 tid's is the intercooler hoses (because of chaffing).

When it happens the car runs a very very rich mixture (of course.. there's much less air stupid! )

And at that the car behind you disappears into a very large cloud of black smoke... and continues to until the engine diagnostics notice the situation (takes about 10 minutes).. and then cuts all power and enters limp home mode.

Very interesting for people driving behind you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.