Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an amazing morning! End up getting involved in a SAAB mini-performance meet that was not planned. Quite a few interesting conversions on show, but most of them of the "regular" kind. I didn't bother with external pics, due to lack of spare memory on the digital camera. No disrespect to Maserati Man with his OTT 9-5 Two Stroke conversion. Most of it are regularly covered on SSc. It's the unusual that draws my (and many others)attention. I do regret however that the MONSTER turbo on one of the Carlsson's did not come out in the pic I took . Hope I can redo it...

First up, this from another Carlsson engine bay. MBC, Forge Valve,...

I test drove this car, and was amazed to see a turbo gauge go off the scale

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not to be out done, TimC demonstrated his Aquamist conversion on his 9000 AERO. This has been discussed on SSc, and a view people have even been thinking about this upgrade. I took that pic in case it is of any help to anyone.

A special thanks to DaveA for wiring his boost gauge up to my engine, and then scaring me to death giving me the ride of my life in my own car
. The 1.4 BAR boost up the hill was a welcome surprise though
. Need to work out what that is in PSI. But I am more than happy. No more power upgrades required

·
Registered
247 Posts
I will be fitting a 5th injector after Elvington using an old C900 cold start injector and activated by a Hobbs pressure switch. However, I will be placing it on the IC pipe just after the BOV because I've heard that placed on the throttle body, fuel from the 5th injector is unevenly distrubted to the cylinders.

Alanb

·
Registered
623 Posts
Let's make a deal: I tell you what 1.4 bar is in Psi and you tell me what's so wierd in that pic with the throttle body.

To show you I'm for real, I start telling you that 1.4bar = 20.3psi (sounds good anyway
)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gratias for the PSI info Stefano

As far as that pic is concerned: as Leon pointed out, that 5th injector (the blueish one) is not a standard item on the manifold. The casting on some manifold does however have the required allocation to add a 5th injector. And if I worded that incorrectly, I am sure someone will put it all in the correct order .

One other source for reference that makes use of a 5th injector, but using a different wiring setup, is THIS ONE . THese 9000 boys do have some "better" tuning options in my opinion .

Whilst you are on that site, have a look at THIS as well. In particular the uprated waste gate actuator. I was pleasantly surprised to see that bit, since I also employed the same trick to keep my boost up for as long as possible. I am still trying to find out who else uses this method of boost maintenance, since I don't know what the long-term effects are. Fuel consumption is higher though

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted by Adrian_W:
 Weird ... just looks like a water injection or nitrous nozzle to me    .  Oh well ...  [/b]
That is picture 3. It is an Aquamist system.

I think that Stefano is talking about picture 2. But no doubt he'll be around tonight sometime to clear that one up for us .

Whilst we are on that Adrian: I wasn't far off when I guessed that I can manage 21PSI of boost. OK, so that was going up a hill
, but it was fun trying not to think of those pine trees awaiting us in case of any driving mistakes .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks Stanley, it was a good trade after all

I didn't realized it was a 5th injector, maybe because the hose that serves it doesn't seem a fuel-in-pressure hose.

I also learnt what was that mysteriuos shape on the TB casting of my car, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts