Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a classic 900, but he is getting old and my wife is 'suggesting' the next car should be a 9000.

She likes the look of the CSE models, but what should I really be looking for? where are the weak points? poor years? essential/problem options? etc..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Saab 9000cse is one of the best cars to be driven in. The seats far better then anything produced now. If I want something really special I take out my dark green , Dover leather 9000 CSE 2.3 and leave the 9.5 at home!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Don't think GM had any involvement with the 9000's.

Which model depends what your priorities are - probably better to go for a CS model, as they're more likely to be better condition (just by virtue of age - there are near perfect older shapes out there).

Don't go for a non-turbo as they are a bit gutless. The LPT's are excellent, but if you want some fun, it'd have to be an Aero.

Late 2.3T Anniversary models had the same power (225BHP) as the Aero's, as opposed to the standard 200BHP 2.3T.

Just make sure the car has been cared for - FSSH better than not, but obviously no guide to condition. Buy private.

You're more likely to get a better car from Classifieds on sites like this, though the prices will reflect this. (Not silly money like some of the dealers though!)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Why buy a SAAB?
Quoted as follows:
"Can you say, "It has that certain 'Je ne sais quois'"? Other than that, the 5-doors will haul an incredible amount of stuff. They're all solid and safe. The turbos offer exhilarating performance with excellent gas mileage. They're all very comfortable. They're great "long-road" cars. But in the end, it still comes down to: "It has that certain 'Je ne sais quois'", which, translated, means, "DAMN, this car feels good!".

Yeah, but look at all that stuff that can fail

Look at it this way: If you're buying a Saab with 30k miles on it, you're taking a chance (depending on the warranty situation). If you're buying a Saab with 50k to 100k miles on it, all the weak stuff has probably been replaced already and if you maintain it carefully, it will probably serve you well. As for Saabs with 100k to 150k miles on them; you need to try to make sure that a whole host of stuff isn't about to fail (and/or that it has been well cared for). Beyond 150k miles, it's a judgment call. Saabs can go for significant fractions of millions of miles, but they won't do so without loving care, and any car is going to need some work as the quarter million mile mark approaches."

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
GM took a stake in Saab in 1989 and bought the remaining stake from Investor AB in 1999.

Saab 9000 came from a project run with the Italians as long ago as the seventies. The "Type Four" project culminated in the launch of the 9000 in 1984 along with Lancia Thema (?) and Alfa 164 (?) and some Fiat. In the end, the cars shared only about 14 components from the front doors.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The Lancia Thema had a Ferrari engined version with a boot mounted spoiler that raised itself above a certain speed. Trouble was, that the boxing out in the boot lid that housed it when it was lowered was so big that it almost filled the boot

The Fiat was the 'Chroma' but "some Fiat" is a good description

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.