Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess 9000 Aero's TD04HL-15T #6 must have also been used on another car too. Probably a Nissan 200sx or a cosworth? Just guessing... Even it may sound stupid, I have to look for this turbo from another brand cause here in Turkey Saabs are quite rare and it is hard to find an aero at dismantlers.

Due to low budget I have to go for a used one & remanufacture. I can not get it from e-bay or another int'l supplier cause customs clearance will cost far higher than the item.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks for joining the string.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by SaabAnkara:
[qb]I guess 9000 Aero's TD04HL-15T #6 must have also been used on another car too.  [/qb][/b]
Don't think so...

I'm fairly certain it was only the 9000 Aero that used this specification turbo.

It seems very few other cars use a TD04HL type, let alone specifically a -15T with the 6cm2 housing.
A few Mitsubishi's use a TD04HL, not sure what exact type of TD04HL, and some Volvo use a -15G, as well as -13's and -18's, but not a -15T#6.....

·
Registered
461 Posts
If one comes up, don't be afraid to go for a G spec - it was the correct TD04 for early Aeros, and as it was presented as a bargain when I needed one, it's what I'm running very happily right now on my 1997 stage 3 Aero.

Carl

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Zippy9-3:
[qb]Subaru Impreza's use the TD04,not quite sure of the spec but worth a look.

[/qb][/b]
Not all of them though, from what I've read, TD04HL were fitted to some Impreza's from 1998 on....but which TD04HL and on what Scoobies..??

·
Registered
682 Posts
not quite sure of the spec but worth a look.  [/b]
As i've said they do use them but not sure which one.Its got to be worth a look at the breakers as Subaru's may be easier for him to source 2nd hand parts from where he is located.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Zippy9-3:
[qb]  QUOTE
not quite sure of the spec but worth a look.  [/b]
As i've said they do use them but not sure which one.Its got to be worth a look at the breakers as Subaru's may be easier for him to source 2nd hand parts from where he is located. [/qb][/b][/quote]Looks like the Scoobie option is a non-starter.

I've done some digging and it seems the Scoobie uses a TD04HL-13G-6cm, which perhaps explains why some Scoobie owners have upgraded by using the turbo off a 9000 Aero...

But, it does seems that the old twin-turbo Nissan 300SX MAY HAVE used a pair of TD04HL-15G 6cm turbos, which is the same as the early 9000 Aero's used...?

The Nissan, if you can find one of those, maybe your only posssible option.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Many thanks Carl, I'd forgotten that thread.

So to reiterate, you felt that the boost with the G spec TD04 came in earlier, but trailed off sooner at the top end?
Nick.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The boost definitely came in harder at lower revs - whether it came in sooner, I'm not so sure.

The tapering at higher revs is difficult to be certain about too, but that's my seat-of-the-pants impression.

It matches what you might expect Saab to have wanted from the Aero as it 'matured' too - the T-spec gave the same ultimate power, but a smoother climb-rate and better sustained power at the end of the revs, all in exchange for less excitement.

I also fitted an ECU from an early Aero, at which point my 1997 model was clearly 'at ease' with itself and was tremendous fun, with less tapering as the revs climbed - this I put down entirely to the fully-matched software/hardware installed.

It's all moot now anyway, as I'm running Speedparts Stage 3, and the car doesn't care what TD04 spec I've got - it just goes...

Carl

·
Registered
461 Posts
To avoid high-jacking the thread completely, I don't know if the Nissan 300 TD04s would have the same 3-stud exhaust fitment, but they should have the same manifold fitment, and you will find that TD04s come apart very simply and easily at the join between the compressor and the wastegate casting, where they are held together only by a glorified jubilee clip, so that I can imagine being able to match a 'Nissan' compressor to a 'Saab' wastegate if required - particularly if you are going to pay for balancing.

Carl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts