Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 9-3 Aero, which I've already sorted out the suspension with full Viggen Rescue Kit, Abbott rear anti roll bar, Eibach Springs and Koni Adjustable Dampers. Have also got an Abbott ECU upgrade, sports Air Filter, and Black Diamond grooved brake discs all round.

This year I have a budget of about £1000 for parts, plus whatever they costs to get fitted. Eventually I'll be heading towards a Maptun Stage 5, but the question is what do I do next?

3" Exhaust System
High Flow Intercooler
Larger Air Intake Pipe
Larger Delivery Pipe

Finances don't allow me to do them all this year, so which order do I do them in, or is there something else I should be doing first?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Compared to the others, the delivery pipes will give smaller benefits. The intercooler is the most noticable, followed by the exhaust.

Depending on your finances, if you can't stretch to the intercooler and exhaust, then simply fitting just a 3" downpipe with the I/C will give you a marked improvement. You will need to check and adjust your base boost afterwards.

·
Registered
737 Posts
For a budget of around £1000, I would go for the stage 3 Maptun or BSR upgrade (all of which are around £1000). Maptun apparently give existing customers a discount as well dont they?

This way you will get your full 3" exhaust with software to match. Its got to be a better option than getting an exhaust on its own.

P

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
If your intention is to eventually go Maptun Stage 5, then that would include the 3" exhaust, intercooler and intake pipe.

So, as it's much more preferable to get the Stage 5 as a complete 'kit' the £1000 might be better spent now on doing a more serious brake upgrade to handle the 315hp/420Nm of the Stage 5 when you get it

4 and 6 pot caliper kits with 330mm discs can be had from either WP, AP and Brembo for anything between £1250-£1800 depending on make and supplier.

Cheaper DIY kits from the likes of Godspeed can be had much cheaper, say around £800.

Or £1000 would also get a much needed Quaife LSD supplied and fitted by Abbott Racing

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Current exhaust isn't going to last forever if it's original so maybe leave that till you need to replace? As mentioned, if your target Stage 5 comes with this + other bits on your list then it seems daft to get them now. Why not hold off for a year while you save like hell to get the Stage 5 in 2006? Or for the inevitable gearbox rebuild that will soon follow

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping to head towards stage 5 a bit at a time over the next couple of years, rather than doing the whole lot at once - end up costing the same, but not such a big hole in the pocked at one go. I assume Maptun will sell bits seperately?

My main problem is that I currently have an Abbott ECU upgrade, and obviously don't want to shell out for a Maptun one till I'm going full stage 5. So was hoping to just replace some of the hardware at the moment and stick with the Abbott ECU upgrade for a year or so.

From the above posts, I reckon the Exaust and the intercooler might be the way to go this year, then intake pipes, clutch and new ECU next year (finances permitting). A couple of "adaption runs" should sort out the ECU with the new hardware, and I will see a small increase in power. I realise the big jump in power won't come till I get the new ECU and the rest of the bits and bobs.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Neil,

You should read about the subject of Trionic7 tuning on the site, particularly what Philip wrote.

You'll hardly get any gains with only hardware. For Trionic 7 you'll need to combine any hardware changes with appropriate software changes.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Neil,
As 'McAero' pointed out, with T7 tuning the 'bit at a time' isn't a viable option as all hardware changes really need an appropiate software change for it to work properly.

As you have an Abbott ECU, you could try going the Abbott route with their hard ware options a bit at a time (intercooler, delivery pipe, intake pipe etc) and ask if they would tweak your ECU each time as part of the deal. But I doubt if you'll ultimately achieve similar results to the Maptun Stage 5 kit....

Personally I'd spend the £1000 on the LSD from Abbott Racing, as if you do go Maptun Stage 5, you're gonna need that LSD....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll hardly get any gains with only hardware. For Trionic 7 you'll need to combine any hardware changes with appropriate software changes.[/b]
I know what you're saying McAero, but going for another software upgrade from Maptun at this stage just seems like wasted money at the moment. I'm not too worried about whether I get a big gain from the hardware mods at this stage, I just want to start getting things ready for the Stage 5.
If I go for a Maptun ECU upgrade now, I'll need another one when I complete all the hardware changes next year. To me, that looks like I'm paying for something twice.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Neil M:
[qb]I'm not too worried about whether I get a big gain from the hardware mods at this stage, I just want to start getting things ready for the Stage 5.
If I go for a Maptun ECU upgrade now, I'll need another one when I complete all the hardware changes next year. To me, that looks like I'm paying for something twice. [/qb][/b]
IIRC Maptun offer a 90% discount (or something like that figure) on the ECU re-map if you upgrade to a higher stage later on.

So it wouldn't be as costly as you think.

Have you talked to Maptun yet...??

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't spoken to them yet.
Was hoping some Saabscerers might have done something similar, so was looking for impartial advice first.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Neil

I have down bits as funds allow I have a 93 SE Turbo with Maptun stage 3 inc 3 inch catless downpipe Viggen intercooler, found Maptun to be very helpful, but thats just my opnion !!!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]Was hoping some Saabscerers might have done something similar, so was looking for impartial advice first. [/qb][/b]
Yes, there have been those that have tried, and they then wonder why they are getting a 'check engine light' and/or the car runs very poorly.

Trionic 7 gets it's knickers in a twist if you change hardware without changing the software as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trionic 7 gets it's knickers in a twist if you change hardware without changing the software as well.[/b]
That's the kind of info I need to know - If changing the Exhaust and Intercooler will actually make the car run worse, then I'll save up a bit longer before I do anything.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm not the world's greatest expert on T7 , but I would have thought changing the IC was pretty "safe".

The IC is pre all metering/measuring that T7 does, and what it is doing is providing cooler charge air. As long as the base boost is checked/adjusted I see no reason for it to cause a problem- it will simply be like driving the car on a cooler day. Under higher load conditions, the cooler air will help prevent pre-ignition and negative adaptation. It will also help to reduce turbo lag.

I'm sure there must be some folk with T7 cars that have changed the exhaust without any software mods. I think the key point is that compared to say T5, you may not get the best out of any hardware changes without suitable software changes.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb] QUOTE
Trionic 7 gets it's knickers in a twist if you change hardware without changing the software as well.[/b]
That's the kind of info I need to know - If changing the Exhaust and Intercooler will actually make the car run worse, then I'll save up a bit longer before I do anything. [/qb][/b][/quote]Not neccessarilly so because you already have a modifed Abbott ECU. It depends on what paramiters the software within that ECU were written for....
You should be able to fit a JT 3"DP+race cat+system without any problems.....
Maybe the intercooler as well, as Mark says.
(Although when I enquired I was informed by a reliable T7 expert that this would not be the case on my standard T7 program.)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just spoke to Abbott, and they said that their software will adapt to a new exhaust and intercooler, without any problem at all. Looks like I can go ahead, and then go the Maptun software route next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts