Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. I posted this on the other board last night, but realised after the event that most replies would be biased towards a US consumer.. so here goes for as Brits!!..

I'm thinking about an oil and filter change in my CSE 2.3FPT and wondered what the board's thoughts were on the type of oil to use and how often to change it and the filter??....

I've heard that some of the diesel formulated oils (someone's already mentioned Rotella) are good, but what's the deal with Synthetics??

My experience with diesel formulas is limited to an oil I used in my Honda ST1100. The oil was Castrol Magnatec diesel formula in a 5-50 weight. Magnatec also has friction reducers whose efficiency I can attest to as the wet-clutch in the Honda was rendered almost useless as it slipped like a ****** when gassed over 5k...

So what do you think ??

Greg

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I've used Halfords own brand fully synthetic (5W40) the last 5 changes and had no problems. Change oil and filter every 6,000 miles or six months (best to use genuine SAAB filters and fit a new sump bolt washer every time). Halfords half price deal on the oil has just finished though .

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm about to do the first oil change on my mota since I got her (when I can get the drain plug out ). I was planning on putting in mobil 1 after reading the veiws of others, especially regarding the importance of a decent oil in turbos.

Kev

·
Registered
836 Posts
Does anybody else use Valvoline synpower full synthetic?
I've always found it to 'stay in grade' at least as well as saab turbo oil, and it's certainly cheaper.
It isn't easy to find though, there don't seem to be many distributors. I buy mine from a place in Doncaster and stock up when I happen to be passing there.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Nope, BP bought and amalgamated the the Mobil petrol forecourt business. The lubes side is still Mobil.

Mobil 1 is never sold as anything else other than Mobil 1. They do however supply other fully synthetic formulations to a number of other brand names, including Saab.

0W40 or 5W40 fully synthetic is the oil to use. Mobil probably is the best, but the key thing is to make sure it's fully (not semi) synthetic and change oil/filter very 6000 miles.

My FPT 2.3 engine is currently in bits down at Abbott. It's done nearly 200k, most of that seriously tuned up, and it's apparently in excellent condition
Reason? 6000 mile oil (Mobil 1) and filter changes... QED

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mobil 1 'installed' by SAAB dealer when I had a major service last October.

Will change oil and filter in March/April as we are low mileage users and so time service intervals by the calendar.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My 180,000mm carly has had pretty much any good old mineral oil over the yaers and the bores looked like new 2 weeks ago, as did the cams and other moving parts.

For it's oil now, in the new year Halfords did a half price offer on their 5w40 fully synth oil which I bought 10 5L cans of

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Nope, BP bought and amalgamated the the Mobil petrol forecourt business. The lubes side is still Mobil.
[/qb][/b]
BP bought Castrol (BP - Castrol - Aral - "same" company, different brand names)
Mobil - Exxon - Esso - "same company", different brand names.
Look:
www.mobil.co.uk
www.bp.com

Sebastien wrote:
[qb]What about Castrol 5W40 ? It's used buy my Saab local dealer for all Saab engines and he told me it was very good (but quite expansive) ?
[/qb][/b]
They are right - it is very good and expensive. (btw as I know B*W uses Castrol as OEM oil)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
BP did buy the UK petrol forecourt business from Mobil, but left the lubes alone, round about 1995- I know, my ex was working for Mobil at the time.

IIRC, BP may have already had Castrol lubes at that point so prehaps that is why they didn't/couldn't take on the Mobil lubes as well.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
BP formed a marketing deal with Mobil whereby Mobil's lubricants would be available through BP petrol stations (in the UK). Shortly after, Exxon and Mobil merged, and BP bought Amoco and Castrol and Arco. When all the lawyers had finished and the Monopoly & Mergers / Anti Trust people had finished, the BP/Mobil marketing deal was "unarranged" so Mobil lubricants are now available in Esso petrol stations and Castrol in BP's.

Clear as mud? Thank the lawyers.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by Gregorius:
[qb]Hi all..

I'm thinking about an oil and filter change in my CSE 2.3FPT and wondered what the board's thoughts were on the type of oil to use and how often to change it and the filter??....

I've heard that some of the diesel formulated oils (someone's already mentioned Rotella) are good, but what's the deal with Synthetics??

My experience with diesel formulas is limited to an oil I used in my Honda ST1100. The oil was Castrol Magnatec diesel formula in a 5-50 weight. Magnatec also has friction reducers whose efficiency I can attest to as the wet-clutch in the Honda was rendered almost useless as it slipped like a ******  when gassed over 5k...

So what do you think ??

Greg [/qb][/b]
Sorry to post the original question again but I think everyone else has missed your point in speed reading your post.

Do NOT use Diesel oil in a petrol engine, as you have obviously done. Moreover do not put Car oil in a motorcycle engine or vice versa (they are like chalk and cheese as you've found out!)

Oils are extremely highly developed for their own type of engine and putting one in the other is a recipe for disaster!

A friend simply put the wrong grade of oil (say 15W/40 rather than 10W/40) in his Ford Zetec engine which lead to all sorts of maladies with tappets, due to the oil holes in them being of a smaller than usual size.

Otherwise follow the good advice stated above.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Moreover do not put Car oil in a motorcycle engine or vice versa (they are like chalk and cheese as you've found out!)

[/b]
Not new bikes, older bikes pre-unit construction are okay. Buell and HD recommend diesel engine spec oil for their bikes!

Both petroleum oil and synthetic oil for car use has friction modifiers blended in, which are typically not compatible with wet clutch applications. There are motorcycle specific oils blended specifically for motorcycle applications with wet clutches that should be used in motorcycles. These lubricants do not have any friction modifiers blended in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.