Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed ARB,s to poly the other day,on my standard cs carly.really pleased with the diff(as you all know as you have already done them!!),but what is the next step?.lower springs?shocks?or both?.its a right git that polys cost only £27 all in for big diff,but next step is loadsa£££!,for same dif!(there,s nothing in between).wedge is a factor so what would you do next?dont really want to change look of carly to much as i want to stay as original as possible(sorry lighted washer jets are a no no!(puke).i hear that lower control arm bushes in poly is a good idea,leave this to you saabsters

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The next one that helps a lot is replacing the front rear wishbone bushes. There are two ways of doing this, one cheap but difficult, the other expensive but comparatively easy.

You can buy just the bushes from the likes of ELkparts (~£21), and then swear and curse as you firstly remove the existing rubber one- the preferred technique seems to be to cut as much out with a hacks blades then scrape/abrade the rest off- then squeeze the new one in to place.

Or you can buy the complete bush with housing for rather more from Abbott (~£135). It all depends on what price you put on your time.

As for the next step, then providing your shocks are in good condition, there's no reason why you shouldn't drop a set of springs on it (~£140).

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My carlsy and Aero are pretty much completely poly'd out now, and the only think that increases vibration was doing the 2nd top dogbone engine mounts.

Adding all the poly to the carly's suspension bits has completely transformed it wandering days.

On the Aero it was les pronounced (less worn rubber bits?), but even that has improved greatly.

Andrew.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ive ordered the wishbone bushes.the cheap ones(i like a challenge!!).noticed that you can buy the front(top hat?) ones as well,but no one seems to mention these.are they not really worth changing?.looked at elkparts site(cheers for that mark)and saw several options for springs.they all seem to lower the car by about 40 mm,would the original shocks cope with this?(mine are still ok).regardless of cost would you go for the sachs or gmax?IE is there much between them,apart from 50 quid!?thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
arb drop links are worth changing ...about 6 squid a side... these get very loose as they age
made a difference on the aero and just going to do the carly
you can poly these as well
and the bushes are quite cheep..
my next step with the carly is a stiffer rear a/r bar and I have some cunning plans which should be dead cheap ...
watch this space ..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont know if im reading your mind about your "cunning plan",but i have read about getting another AR and "piggy backing"it on top of the other one using a DIY clamping system.seeing the room under the back of a 9k fitting should be easy.would i be right in saying this would have the affect of a 38mm bar!!.now what would that be like??. looks like the front would be really hard to do though

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by scminks:
[qb]would i be right in saying this would have the affect of a 38mm bar [/qb][/b]
That doesn't sound right. My guess is that stiffness depends on area, so that would double the area and be equivalent to about a bar of 26.5mm. Only with the change of having each bar under different amounts of stress so it sounds a bit of a bodge to me

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
scminks...good call
I think I have seen this piggy back system some where
theory is that it is infintely adjustable ....just by moving the clamps and also the number and where they are, will all make a difference..
and there is a lot of room as you say
local scrappy for a rear a/r bar and a bit of work making some ally clamps...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
thoughts are that it will tighten up the back but still allow the front to track the bumps... so cutting down total roll... but not lose trackability at the front where you need it for traction
theory anyway...
I know the carly rolls a lot more than the aero
and we were losing the back end on the carly at anglesey (and the traction is not too hot too)
..the only difference I can see is the carly has the thinner a/r bar and beefing it up should do the trick....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.