Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to get a new BOV for my car. I want something with a nice pitch when venting, and one that dumps back into the intake. Anybody have any ideas as to what I should use? I'm currently a stock 2.3 9kCD,AUTO.I also plan on a K+N "filter charger",and reprogrammed APC.Thats all I have planned for the engine as its an auto tranny and I've ben told they can't support much more than 200h/p.
THANX.
JUSTIN =^)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Justin,
Hi

We call em Dump valves over here!
The most common motorsport version is the baily motorsport DV30 re-circulating dump valve.
Forge motorsport Dump valves are also very good, and youv'e always got blitz but im not sure if they do a re-circ version.

You don't get so much of a whoosh with these types but coupled with the K&N you do get a very nice whistle from the turbo.
I had that setup in my old 2L 16V Turbo, It centainly used to turn heads!!

Cheers
Damian

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was looking at all those u mentioned. I particularly liked the blitz and bailey,the only drawback with the blitz was as u said they dont have a re-circ. dumper.The bailey's were nice and they have a nice selection,they made it so hard to choose. You say u had this set-up in ur car,how did it feel with these simple mod's? Keep in mind I also want the performance APC, that should give me a lil' more kick too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Justin,

My last car was the older 2L B202 engine, these are much more easy to tune up than the later trionic based saab's
I would go for the baily DV30, it's been used in cars like the cosworth RS500 for years, kicking out up to 550 BHP, most semi pro rally cars use em.

On my old 2L I had a K&N RE 0810 with a special fitting setup I got from a chap that does some design / research work for SPG9 over your way.
I then had the modified down pipe (with better curve),modified apc which I did myself, rising rate fuel regulator and then a hybrid turbo to top it off

It was fairly awesome to say the least, much faster aceleration than my 2.3 9000, and very hard to keep traction in 1st to 3rd gear.

It all depends how you want to go, my 2L was a lot of fun, but I shagged 2 gearboxes and 2 clutches ! he he.
Im still experimenting with my new (ish '96) 2.3 CSE, Ive got a boost controller on it, DV30 Dump valve, and im transplanting the K&N fron the 2L to the 2.3 soon.
Ive found that unless youv'e got an Aero the gears are too long on the 2.3's and so it takes away some of the rapid aceleration, but it's still fairly quick.
Best thing m8 is to get the filter and DV, then go for a RR Fuel pressure regulator and see how it feels.
Cos after that it starts to get expensive!

Best of luck

Damian

·
Registered
187 Posts
hi justin

i use a le-mans group a twin piston dump valve, but its atmospheric not recerculating.

holds boost level very well between gear changes though.

if you do get an atmospheric valve make sure its a twin piston jobby as it prevents poor idleing and stalling to occur, unlike diaphram and single piston atmospheric valves, when fitted to cars with air flow meters

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANX A LOT GUYS!!!! Well I finally found the Bailey motorsport site,so now I get to see the whole selection rather than what other companies are selling from bailey's. It looks like I'm gonna wind up going with a bailey's.A friend of mine told me he can get me a greddy for $95,only thing is it's a universal and I have no idea what the spec.s are,so thats out.
I've been doin' my research on these lil buggers and it seems like the best ones have the pistons inside. Anyone else familiar with these piston types? Besides DAMO9k and blower(looking for a variety of opinions!).
Well when I decide as to which one I want,I will post up and ask for ur opinions.
Thanx guys!!
JUSTIN =^)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
tried the bailey single piston non recirculating...works great + lovely woosh..
had to bleed off some vacumm to even out the idle (this was on my 900 t16 s)
got a TAS recirculating one on my Aero..seem to work ok (on the abbott site under dump valves thats a picture of mine..!)
I am going to try the bailey on my aero at the weekend so I will report later
The only disadvantage with an atmospheric dump valve is that it is venting 'metered air 'which will cause the engine to go rich momentarily..(but it sounds so cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.