Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have spare headlight bulbs to go to France but I am not sure what type?

H7 but but I don't know what I have in at the moment in terms of xenon etc, so I would not want to mix types should one blow

Does the 93 Aero convertible 2005 have standard bulbs?

Bit of a lame question I know but something which is confusing me a bit and they're not all that cheap!

Thx

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
h7 halogens if the switch looks like this..
light switch.jpg
.Note the marking before 12 O'clock.

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
in that case you have should have bi-xenons/xenons..they should auto level at start up..

if you remove the cover you should see a square silver box(ignitor) on the rear of the lamp..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in that case you have should have bi-xenons/xenons..they should auto level at start up..

if you remove the cover you should see a square silver box(ignitor) on the rear of the lamp..
Oh. The thing is I am driving to France and they want you to carry a spare headlamp bulb

These are around £60 and I believe they rarely fail? Lot of money

Plus I have to adjust the LH beam down

N

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
99% of hid failures is the ballast which sits underneath the h/lamp,not the lamp/ignitor..lamps tend to either lose brightness or colour shift when failing..hids don't just fail like a halogen as there is no filament..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
99% of hid failures is the ballast which sits underneath the h/lamp,not the lamp/ignitor..lamps tend to either lose brightness or colour shift when failing..hids don't just fail like a halogen as there is no filament..
Oh well if the gendarmes pull me I can explain that!

Although it 'seems' to me after reading around, that the dipper is H7 and the full beam is Xenon. So as its the dipper which might annoy the cops, that's the one I need to carry a spare for

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
No,xenons are lows.h7 are highs.if bi-xenon which i think yours are,then the low is also high as a shutter is moved within the lamp housing when highs are activated..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I see, complicated

I think I'd best do nothing and try to bluff my way out with talk of shutters and bi xenons if the cops stop me and ask to see my spare bulb

I think the other thing is spot checks for non corrected beams at Calais. They issue fines, so I guess I simply crank down the beam on the left hand side using the white adjuster?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good to hear you want to be in rules with French laws how many chances to be stopped by police? Not quite a lot how ma'y chances to have headlights failure not quite a lot so go on and have fun in France...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear you want to be in rules with French laws how many chances to be stopped by police? Not quite a lot how ma'y chances to have headlights failure not quite a lot so go on and have fun in France...
French police can be very tough on UK drivers, They often stop UK cars as they leave Calais for spot checks

And they issue fines!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts