Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just about to pressure bleed Clutch & Brakes. What new fluid is reccomended for the 9000 2.3 FPT (1991) ?

Any reccomendations as to bleeding clutch first then brakes or vice versa, or at the same time?

Many Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by scminks:
[qb]dot 3 or 4 will do..its only a saab    :eek:                   [/qb][/b]
DOT 3 will NOT do!!!

Saab recommend DOT 4, which was the best available when the cars were built. Now you can use DOT 5.1 (but not DOT 5, which is the nasty silicon stuff, and is not compatible with DOT 4 or DOT 5.1).

Most of the cost of replacing the fluid is in the time and effort taken to do the job. The difference in cost between DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 is minimal, so it makes sense to use the best. In addition DOT 5.1 is specifically designed for use in ABS systems as it has a lower viscosity, and maintains a low viscosity at low temperatures, allowing the ABS to work properly in the depths of winter.

The dry and wet boiling points of the fluids are:

DOT 3: 205C, 140C
DOT 4: 230C, 155C
DOT 5.1: 275C, 216C

So in conclusion, use DOT 5.1, and change it at least every two years.

Please read this post particularly the comment by 911Speedster.

Thank you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just done the brakes and fluid on my dad's Honda (93 accord 2L petrol - for what its worth) and it states "Use only DOT3 or DOT4 fluid from a sealed container".

I was under impression that 3 & 4 are incompatible and ensure I use only 4 (it's already in it, so just keep using same).

Is this a bit like the oil debate "use only mobil 1 and if you top up with anything else it will completely degrade the total oil content", whereas it merely proportionally reduces the effectiveness of the original content (so I've been told - oil sniffers feel free to cut to bits)?

Pete

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My 1982 VW specified DOT 4, so it's been around at least that long.

DOT 3, 4 & 5.1 are miscible, but I've no idea what the effect on boiling point is. The silicon based DOT 5 must never be mixed with the "normal" DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 fluids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts