Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried most brands of fuel & was wondering what everyone else used, I find Morrisons (northern supermarkets) to be the best 95 ron fuel on the market & BP to be the worst by far not even my camping stove likes it (go figure).
Shell Optimax is pumped rocket fuel but rather pricey. I've not tried any fuel additives yet!!
So what do you put in your tank??

·
Registered
265 Posts
I started using Optimax with my previous car (Subaru Forester with Prodrive pack!!!) and the performance difference was noticeable versus regular 95 RON. Then I saw the article in Evo magazine and that just confirmed it's better for the engine AND better performance, so I now use it whenever I fill up.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Modified 9000 Aero - Optimax or Super Unleaded (97 RON) as a fallback. Maptun upgrade requires 97 or greater, so I only use 95 as a last resort (and only enough to get the car to some good stuff).

9000 CSE 2.0LPT - 95 RON, usually Texaco because there's one near me. Never noticed a difference between brands, although there must be some.

90 - Optimax or Super Unleaded (97 RON) as a fallback. 97 RON minimum specified by Saab.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been meaning to post a topic similar to this. I've been filling up with Optimax recently and have noticed a noticeable difference in the car. The car revs more smoothly and feels markedly quicker. The cost is quite a bit more, but every time I can't find a Shell nearby and fill with some regular unleaded, I always notice the car feel more sluggish.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I went onto Optimax last year. For about 6 months I would put nothing else in my GM900 Turbo and swore that it made a substantial difference to smoothness and performance.
A few months ago I decided that the savings and clubcard points I would score when filling up at a Tesco near to my work in London (cheaper than out in the sticks, contrary to popular belief) would be more beneficial than the

Having been off the Optimax for a while and back on the basic stuff, I can't see any decrease in performance. If anything, I would say that my engine runs more smoothly and gives way more
with the right foot down hard than it ever used to, during or before my Optimax period (as long as the gearbox isn't kn4ckered
).

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's a shame the local Sheel petrol station closed I'd love to try out optimax. There's a couple that sell SUL though, so that'll have to do.

As for 95 RON, never noticed a difference, although after a fill at Sainsbury's once, our minor conked out. Not sure if that was fuel or not though.

BTW, never tried anything in a Saab, so can't really answer the question, but will be studying the answers

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Optimax all the way. Certainly with a 9000 Aero (Speedparts stage 3), it makes a noticable performance difference and the engine does run better.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Usually use Optimax, but had no choice but to use 95RON (Tesco's) the other day. Low to mid revs I noticed no difference, but at higher revs the engine just didn't seem to push hard - like there was reduced boost.

Back to Optimax now, it's still a little flat at high revs but I guess it'll take a tank or two b4 things get back to norm(?)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

in Germany, we have 100 octane Shell V-Power at every Shell station. It is the clear performance and quality winner, but also the most expensive by far.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why is it that I only get 91 octane here in the states? There is 1 brand that sells 93 but they are impossible to find. Is it worth while upgrading my ECU if all I can run is 91 octane?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by XAAMOTTOMAAX:
[qb]Why is it that I only get 91 octane here in the states?  There is 1 brand that sells 93 but they are impossible to find.  Is it worth while upgrading my ECU if all I can run is 91 octane? [/qb][/b]
US octane ratings are classified slightly differently..
IIRC, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, 91 is same as our 95?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find all 95 RON fuel other than Morrisons to be a bit judderey all over the revs I'm going to try a tank of Optimax soon to see if it makes any difference. 98 RON is hard to find round here so Shell here I come

·
Registered
272 Posts
No doubt if the engine is powerful 98RON is the best fuel , all my cars (well the last one ....)run on 98 with a good oil , and yes it makes a difference maybe not imediatly , but with a few kms/mls more the engine is more free . In this mountain roads the Impreza's they broke engines because the drivers use 95 .

Once i talk with one of the guys from Digital Power from Zurich , a big name on upgrade ECU's , they work a lot with Sub's , Audi , VW , EVO's etc , and he said the first step to have more power is switch to 98 and with turbo engines most of the times is enough .

With my TR6 since i use 98 he runs like silk , less warm and faster .

·
Registered
662 Posts
From the first day I have run my 9-5 Aero on Optimax. Yes, it costs more but I am convinced I get performance and a better MPG, and its oh so smooth . No plans to use anything else, only avoid Motorway Services as they bump rather than pump up ( the price that is )

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Before switching to my woodburner, I found my bog-standard 9-3 LPT ran better, quicker, and on regular long motorway runs (3-500 miles round trip) about 10-12% more economically if I used either Optimax or SUL. Didn't notice much difference between Optimax or SUL though. No mpg difference on shorter/local trips, in fact possibly lower due to me being enticed by extra

Best pricing for SUL was local Sainsburys, BP was always expensive, Texaco or Esso reasonably priced in comparison to their 95 price. Optimax tended to be cheaper than all except Sainsbury's.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]Any 98RON unleaded. [/qb][/b]
Ditto, usually ends up being Sainsbury's 97RON stuff as it's cheap and Mr TS seems to like it. When the opportunity arises I put in a tankfull of Optimax. At present this involves remember to travel back to Rugby via the M6 rather than the A5.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts