Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some on impulse from Elkparts 'cos I was buying other things anyway. I got three metres because of the reviews there.

There's two obvious hoses, but they wouldn't add up to 3 metres. What should I be replacing?

Are all ends of all the hoses to be replaced push fit? If not, any info on what to unscrew/disconnect etc gratefully received before I make a fool of myself

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
All ends are 'push fit'. You will find soaping the nipples a fraction helps with easing the new hose on.

The one hose not to replace is that from the inlet manifold to the MAP sensor on the false bulkhead by the upper engine mounts. That hose has to be a specific length and diameter and IIRC is made from a different compound to the other hoses.

If your's is an FPT then I wouldn't worry about replacing the hose under the dash to the boost gauge, just up to the connector in the firewall.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]The one hose not to replace is that from the inlet manifold to the MAP sensor on the false bulkhead by the upper engine mounts.
[/qb][/b]
Ah, so that's what that is. Thanks for the advice.

[qb]If your's is an FPT then I wouldn't worry about replacing the hose under the dash to the boost gauge, just up to the connector in the firewall. [/qb][/b]
Nope, lpt (w/Abbott ECU). A boost gauge is planned for the future...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think it depends on whether or not you have the electronic throttle as to how much hose you need, I bought 4M to be safe, and didn't have enough as there are various other valves with multiple pipes running to them.

On mine, 4M did everything apart from the MAP sensor pipe, any crankcase breather pipes, and the pipe from the T-piece to the bulkhead (for the gauge). Worth having a tot up of what you need before you order.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi Soulhand
The same as me really - keep it as spare - as I have about two metres left in my bits cupboard after doing my GM900 - and you never know when you might need it

Good marketing ploy though - could always auction on eBay
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by mac_xpert:
[qb]My pipe to my map sensor has split in two, and is now about half an inch shorter than it once was. The car seems to still go ok...

Should i replace it? - What with?[/qb][/b]
The MAP sensor uses this pipe to calculate the correct fuel mix. So if the pipe is too long or too short or too thick, thin or flexible &c then the fuel mix will be wrong. What is less certain is just how sensitive the MAP sensor is to change. I know that running a very long pipe will mess things up and that's it's best to leave this hose alone unless it is cracked or damaged in some way.

That being the case, if you have a length of suitable vacuum hose that is the same internal diameter as the MAP hose and the same length as the MAP hose then there should not be any real problem. The point is more that if this hose is fine don't just whip it off and replace with shiny new silicon for the shear sake of it

BTW I think the 3m rule is to be on the safe side and to cover all eventualities including the boost gauge of the FPT.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The main thing about the pipe to the MAP sensor is to keep it as short and rigid as possible. It is slightly different spec tube than the rest of the vacuum hosing. The idea is that the tue walls should not flex and that volume should be lowish in order to accurately transmit the manifold pressure to the sensor.

You should be able to buy it by the metre from a Saab dealer, part # 44 41 945.

If, however, you can re-connect it having cut the split end off, there should be no probs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.