Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The disks & pads on my 118,000 mile CSE are now down to the limit, so nows a good time to uprate them.

I don't do much mileage really, but do drive on the quick side, and use the brakes accordingly. Can't say I've ever had brake fade on the original(?) disks but then I have not done a trackday (yet).

Anyone any suggestions on what to buy? I don't want to spend a fortune, but appreciate that if something is good value, it is worth paying for. Like the looks of drilled/grooved disks, and have never, ever, had problems with drilled discs on my bikes in the last 25 years.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/recommendations

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I found that even new aftermarket disks and Saab pads will improve performance over that of worn out Saab parts!

Performance disks, check out the Abbott Racing web site.

Std Saab parts, try Elkparts at around £130 inclusive. Saab pads are made by Textar who also sell non Saab badged parts at around same price.

I have used Norrbit (Swedish after market Saab/olvoV parts manufacturer) disks and Saab pads, from Neo Bros (Waltham Abbey) at £75 ish inc VAT but not including postage.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I second Mark E, I had the stage 2 setup on my Carly and the effect is quite impressive. Obviously the wear rate is higher and they produce a lot of dust (so your wheels need cleaning more often). But it's impressive stopping power without the need for new calipers and after market wheels to accomodate them.

Stage two

Group N Grey Iron Discs and Ferodo DS Compound Pads:-the ultimate set up to retain the standard calipers. Extensively developed and tested by us on numerous track days and even the industrys proving ground at Millbrook. This extremely high performance road and track set up requires no heat to achieve the massive, progressive bite and awesome stopping power that this combination provides.[/b]

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Hmm, I didn't tell my insurance company.

I figured that as brake pads and discs are consumable items they fall under the same category as tyres, i.e. if they pass an MOT they are fit for normal road use and don't make your car an insurance risk. As far as I understand it, it's changing the "designed-in" items which counts as modification. Perhaps someone would care to correct me if I am wrong?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jason,

How much was your stage two kit?? As I am think about getting the same but the web site don't give us the prices (should ring them but too lazy). And is said price for front and back or just front?

Cheers.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by DrD:
[qb]is this sort of upgrade something you would have to tell your insurance company about or is it just like using OEM rather than genuine Saab parts?
David[/qb][/b]
Strictly speaking, you should tell your insurance company about any "modifications" or "performance enhancements". As the discs are grooved they would come into the latter category. However, I can't see an insurance inspector getting overly excited about them if he found them on an inspection, but it may cause him to look harder for anything else you haven't declared if you know what I mean...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts