Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I had a walk-round one of the weirdest modified 9-3 SAABs that Ihave seen, mine included
. The tire sizes were 235 X 35 X 19
! I was thinking of taking some pics of it, but did not want the owner to start wondering why I was doing that.
Has anyone else tried fitting such large tires? And if so, what sort of suspension setup are you using? I am still surprised that such tire sizes are even possible on a 9-3 .

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I don't know about that, but a wally near me has fitted 255/35*18 eagle F1's to his 9000i on standard suspension and brakes.

All 4 tyres has a groved about 15mm in from the outer edge where the wheen arch cuts them.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I run 235 section tyres and they do not rub honest guv...(but only 40 profile on 17's )
the offset is spot on and only mms away from rear swing arm (had to relocate handbrake cable bracket )
works for me !!

·
Registered
96 Posts
235/35-19 should fit on the gm900/9-3 without any bigger problems. Of course it depends on the wheels offset but I know people in Sweden that fit 8.5"*19" wheels with offset 35 on their 9-3/gm900 with this same tiresize and it works just fine =) It's a bit easier to squeeze them on a 3d than on a 5d..
Here are a few pics on 9-3:s/gm900 with 19" !

·
Registered
613 Posts
Howdy all, been out of town for a bit, but glad to be back.

As far as tire sizes and problems, I seem to be having a bit of an issue with my '99 9-3. I'm running 17" BBS 10-spokes. They came with Michelin Pilot 245/45WR-17s, which gave me no problems whatsoever even with the lowering. When the rear tires needed replacing, I was a bit short of cash, so I put on Khumo 235/45WR-17s, and instantly began to have tire-rub in the back, and now have a groove in each rear tire from the wheel wells. Now the front tires need replacing, and I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Michelins again. But should I consider going to a 40 profile? Ideas much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
shouldn't you be using 215/45-17 on a standard size 17'' wheel? On a 40 section that would be 225/40-17...But you can also safely run 225/45-17 on the 45 section... wouldn't really recommend anything else.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]shouldn't you be using 215/45-17  on a standard size 17'' wheel? On a 40 section that would be 225/40-17...But you can also safely run 225/45-17 on the 45 section... wouldn't really recommend anything else. [/qb][/b]
It depends on whether or not you put looks before improved/degraded handling and ride quality. Quite a few people do and in Britain it must be an expensive excercise, I wouldn't imagine the big 18/19" rims would survive many potholes when shod with 35 profile liquorice strips.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mark,

Oops, yeah, I meant 225/45WR17.... *blush* Thanks for correcting me. Though yes, the stock tires were 215/55HR15 Michelins. I think I might give some thought to trying 225/40WR17 Michelin Pilots all around, and hope that solves it. Pity to replace the relatively new Khumos, but they're pretty deeply scored and I'm a bit worried about a blowout since I do a lot of fast freeway driving. I really like the wider wheels/tires in terms of both the look and improved handling. A rougher ride really doesn't bother my 21yo ****

1 - 10 of 10 Posts