Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First time I have been here although I have owned my Saab 9000CD for almost 2 years now. I purchased it with 100,000 miles on it and it now has a 128,000. I just recently did some frontend work on it such as replacing the struts, balljoints and tie rod ends the car feels much better now. The noise that has me worried though is when the car is at idle in drive(automatic trans)it sounds like rattling coming from the drive belt area. When you accelerate from the light it seems to go away? Also if its in park and just idiling it's not as noisy

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Could be a worn bearing on one of the idler pulleys that the belt goes round? I've not had any problems, but have noticed in the handbook that it's a very convoluted route on some models.

It could even be a noisy timing chain, that tends to disappear at normal revs but can be very noticeable at idle - particularly on my old 9000i which had the original chains at 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mike

I was going to say timing chain.

My 208000 miles 91 9k Carlsson rattles its timing gear at idle. Goes away at speed (Getting IT done)

MOT on Monday

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?

ATB

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you guys are talking about the drive belt I assume we are talking about the belt that drives all the accessories?(alternator,air) It was replaced at 100,000 now has 128,000. What does the tensioner look like and where is it located? I'm afraid that it could be the timing chain, would there be any other hints that it could be the chain? For example like the car running rough?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My929000-

i had this noise on my 9000 about 2 months ago- it coincided with me overfilling windscreen washer fluid, which poured onto the belts ( chatting to a neighbour whilst hose was running
). This noise has disappeared and I am assuming (hoping) that the spillage was allowing the belts to slip.

Is your noise consistent every time you start-up ?

DaveD where in Hampshire are you ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is there all the time. You can really hear it when you are at a stop with the car in drive. If it is just idiling in park(of course the RPM's are a little higher in Park) then it is not as loud.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My carly used to have belt noise at idle and for the 1st few miles after starting eash day.

After a week or so I decided to take a look nd noticed tht one of the idler wheels for the belt was tilted over and the aluiminium back plate had snapped through (Saab now do a superceeded part).

This tipped wheel was squeeling at idle and low revs, but was quiet at higher revs.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.