Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Weird Little Box on centre console of my SAAB 9-3

10K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  lizzard-t 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a SAAB newbie and have just purchased my first SAAB 9-3 Vector Sport Estate. I have telephone controls on my steering wheel and dash but nothing is showing on my screen for phone. I have looked in the back for a sim reader can can't find one, so I assume that I need this before any sort of connection can be established. My question, however, relates to a small box that is connected to my centre console, in the passenger footwell. Can anyone tell me what this is? It looks like it has been factory fitted due to the fact that it is the same colour as the interior of the car. There are no cables either going into or coming out of it and I wondered if anyone has come across this before and what purpose it serves ? BTW, it is a 55 plate. Any help would be appreciated

#6 ·
Have a look in the centre console box under the arm rest. On mine there's a cradle there that I think needs a magic box to be connected so that your car's Bluetooth will recognise your phone. When I got my car last year (it's a 2007 saloon) all this was already in place, but it took several readings of the instruction book for me to figure it all out.

Have you got a manual for the car? It is all in there, although as with all things computerised and mobile phone related, it's not as straightforward as you might think!

Have you got to the Settings menu on the display? From there you can get to Phone Settings, and from there to Set Up for Bluetooth etc.

Cheers

Jack

#9 ·
Hi Guys,

Following on from my first question. I'd like to get the original phone system up and running in my 9-3. I can source a sim reader on line for a reasonable price. is this all I would need to get things going since I have the console and steering wheel with the phone controls already there ? Would need anything else ? and would the wiring already be in place ? Oh and one more really stupid question...... where should the sim reader go in my sportwagon ? Apologies for all the questions but if I can get the integrated phone working, then I don't need to faff around with Bluetooth or add non-standard kit to it. Thanks

#10 ·
Have a look at this thread , where ever. I look on this subject they all seem to come to the same conclusion , and that's a Bluetooth kit . Also with that sim reader I think you have to take the sim out of your phone and stick it in the reader . In my car it's just a case of pairing the phone to the radio and the radio then becomes my phone , it's simple !
But no doubt someone may come back with a different conclusion
http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/134675-Phone-System-9-3

#12 ·
Have a look at this thread , where ever. I look on this subject they all seem to come to the same conclusion , and that's a Bluetooth kit . Also with that sim reader I think you have to take the sim out of your phone and stick it in the reader . In my car it's just a case of pairing the phone to the radio and the radio then becomes my phone , it's simple !
But no doubt someone may come back with a different conclusion
http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/134675-Phone-System-9-3
with todays unlimited minutes contracts, i suppose it would be feasible to put a pay as you go sim card in the car, and then have a profile on the real phone to divert to the cars number (if all your doing is answering incoming calls)

but it really is so much easier to install a parrot kit (that just plugs into the tel1 connector and jobs done lol)

#14 ·
yep also if you change cars you keep the bluetooth capability, ive had it in 3 saabs now lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.