Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '85 900 v basic spec - single carb etc... I'm very much a novice working on cars
I've stripped out the interior and found underneath the carpet a puddle of oil, found that to be dripping from the central air vent, the one that connects to the plastic conduit in front of the gearstick; it's a thin red oil that i'd say is transmission fluid. Can anyone explain this and suggest how i fix it?
Thank you in advance
Neil

·
Registered
4 Posts
You called this car a 900v. What is the V? I didn't think Saab started making convertibles until 1986...

If it's safe to assume the car is an automatic, then the fluid could be automatic transmission fluid or power steering fluid - they can both be reddish in color, but neither of them run fluid behind the dash. Brake fluid would be my first suspect, somehow getting dyed red from something it's dripping across (it's normally clear). If you had a bad master cylinder, brake fluid could be dripping from where the brake pedal contacts the master cylinder behind the dashboard. Is all the paint eaten away around your puddle of fluid? Brake fluid is a pretty good paint stripper. Another option could be antifreeze from a leaking heater core. What color is the antifreeze in the car?

I only brought up the convertible as another source of oil. If it were a 'vert, it could be a leaky hydraulic cylinder in the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jfran,
That's lazy writing, if I'd written it properly it'd say "I have a 1985 900, very basic spec". No it's not a soft top nor an auto. Here's a pic just 'cause i like to show her off.
Thank you some good hints that I'll investigate: power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant.
The leak is coming in to the cab through the air vents. The coolant is the pink variety so that's possible. Power steering sounds possible too. It feels oily but i havent noticed that it's stripped any paint, but I'll look at the master cylinder anyway; the brake function feels good though. I'm not experienced working on cars but this leak in to the air system does seem peculiar.
Neil
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

1 - 3 of 3 Posts