Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this weekend was a mass of servicing on the Carlsson as it has just reached another birthday, 150,000 miles, just 18,000 since I got it last July.

So it was a quick:-

Oil and filter change.
Air filter change (not as easy as it could be but better than C900 8v injections).
Dump valve change as the old one split 3 days after steam and spares.

and

Elkparts rear poly antiroll bar bushes
Elkparts Front poly antiroll bar bushes
Elkparts Front poly drop arm bushes
And to do this weekend Elkparts Poly steering rack mounts.

The airfilter , Dumpvalve and the recent cool damp weather seem to have dome the trick in the boost department so now I'm flashing back and forth between 1/4 anf 1/2 red (smile mode on).

One surprising thing though is the bushes fitted have removed about 80% of the torque steer, but I don't know why. Before the beast would be leathal when crossing the crown of the road when overtaking, and be just plain bad when accelerating hard on the road with it snaking back an forth.

I would have thought that I'd have needed to do the wishboane/balljoints to fix that.

Anyway much fun has been had this week on the twisties trying out the roll bar bushes. They have removed 95% or the steering vagueness when cornering (ALL the old front bushes were completely shot, only half the bush left in some cases, and all the drop arm washers had rusted through and up the arm...).

Anyway, into the pit this weenend, and maybe the top engine mount bushes will get a treat soon.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
You have been a busy boy recently!

Very interesting comments on the bushes - may be worth a try on my Carly too. Torque steer is fun sometimes, though the understeer and lack of traction can be a pain. Do Carly's tend to understeer, or is it just my car? Tyres have loads of tread but are a [expletive deleted] brand - I've no idea about the state of the bushes and the rest of the suspension. At least the bushes are relatively cheap to replace - are they easy enough for someone like me to fit? (i.e. no tools / common sense / mechanical ability)...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I did both the torque arm mounts at the weekend with Elkparts poly bushes. Take off and gear changes are much smoother now although I notice some extra engine vibration at idle. The car also feels more positive through the wheel . I would check they both need doing (mine did) before doing both. The upper engine mount one seems to go first.

The anti-roll bar bushes might be next on the 9000 but I need to work on the 900 first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.