Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am fitting a new pioneer sysstem to my 94' Aero. Head unit all in no problem, Now for the Auto Changer... I need to route a changer control lead from the boot to the Head unit. I am mounting under the boot floor, above spare wheel.

1.Any advice on the best route? (How do you remove/getbehind the footwell lining, and into the door runs?) Ive had a quick look, but wanted advice before trying anything..

2.The changer needs uninterupted 12v+ for memory functions, any suggestions on a take off already in the boot?? or do i need to run a new cable back with the changer cable?? (worried about interference from power)

Thanks all in advance.

P.S had a great run up and back to Middlesbrough last weekend...
- Just love that Aero on the open road (or twisty road, or just crusin.. or.......)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'd route the control cable up the middle of the car (down console, past gear lever and handbrake, tuck under rear carpet centre tunnel, under rear seat and under boot floor to spare wheel well). Shouldn't be too difficulkt or need to move much to do.

Power? possibly the best place to get it would be from the rear door interia light circuit or boot light circuit (you only want a few mA?).

Andrew

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by mac_xpert:
Hi, I am fitting a new pioneer sysstem to my 94' Aero. Head unit all in no problem, Now for the Auto Changer... I need to route a changer control lead from the boot to the Head unit. I am mounting under the boot floor, above spare wheel.

1.Any advice on the best route? (How do you remove/getbehind the footwell lining, and into the door runs?) Ive had a quick look, but wanted advice before trying anything..

Footwell felt is secured with many fasteners which remove fairly easily with the turn of a philps screwdiver to get the center screw out followed by a pull to get the plastic fixing out of the hole.
I've always run my cables along the door shuts under the black plastic trim, there are large cable trays underneath with plenty of room spare within. They are in two sections, front and rear. The front one has a torx (I think) screw up by the felt , two more underneath the 'SAAB' logo in the centre of the door, and a single screw holding the rear in place. The SAAB logo requires a small flat bladed screwdriver to release it, just prise upwards. Once the torx screws are out the whole trim rquires upward pressure to unclip it. The rear section is similar but has another screw holding the rear down, lift the seat to locate it. Cables will run into the boot area in the region of the lower seat-belt anchorage point, sometimes it's easier to unbolt it to move the carpet out of the way.

2.The changer needs uninterupted 12v+ for memory functions, any suggestions on a take off already in the boot?? or do i need to run a new cable back with the changer cable?? (worried about interference from power)

I've never had any interference in the three 9000's that I've had, but then I think I've always run in a dedicated power cable, so I can't really say... If you have any thoughts of running amplifiers in the future, they fit nicely under the boot floor, run in the extra cables now to avoid the hassle later

- Just love that Aero on the open road (or twisty road, or just crusin.. or.......)

Oh yes indeed..

Nick.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have a pioneer mounted in the same way, I took the lead up the left hand side of the car. Put it through the back seat on the left and then tuck it under the sill strip up to the front. The under dash trims are held in by about four trim plugs, usually these have a small pin in the centre that you push up and then pull the plug down. If you remove the left hand one you can push the cable through to the back of the radio - removed of course .

As for the power, unless they have changed their design the main cable should have a power take off on the radio end, usually yellow, and this should plug straight into a spare yellow wire coming out of the radio plug. The Pioneer I have just needs to be seperately earthed in the boot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts