Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 9-5, so I am trespassing, but....

I recently came across a Web Site which had an exhaustive analysis on engine oil - when to change it, how it is graded, are additives any good, why oil degrades, what causes most engine wear etc.

Highly informative and very useful. It had similarly comprehensive pieces on Tyres and Suspension.

I didn't bookmark it and have been trying to find it ever since. All I know about the author is that he drives an Audi Coupe, and I think he lives in the UK.

I have already contacted the Audi owner's club, without success.

Has anyone seen this site ? I would be grateful for the URL if anyone knows it.

Thanks

Philip

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW! That page is killingly slow to load. About engine- and gearbox oil, I can give you some pointers that'll give you a loooooong living engine(gearbox). Use Mobil-1 Fully Synthetic 0W-40 engine-oil and change it EVERY 10,000 miles. Gearbox: Use Saab's own ATF-gearoil or Mobil's Fully Synthetic ATF-oil. In any case, this oil should have a red color, like hydralic-oil. In fact it is the same as an hydralic oil! The gearbox-oil should ALWAYS be changed once a year!

My local mechanic has another 9000 owner, who has been using Mobil-1 oil and that 9000 has now driven 285,000 miles, without ever having the engine opened!

Good luck with your 9-5.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great - thanks very much - that is exactly the one I have been looking for.

I have now bookmarked it and shan't lose it again.

I had a 9000 CSE 2.3 T anniversary before the 9-6 and I had BIG gearbox problems with it. Three strip-downs in 12 months over the course of 40,000 miles. It was a company car which I inherited with 68,000 miles on the clock at 2 years old.

Outrageously fast (one of the run-out models with the 225bhp engine in it) it would see off just about anything. It had had all the badges removed when it was ordered, so it was a bit of a Q-car which I love.

Anyway, it was a company car, so I never had to pay for the stripdowns, all of which happened at Saab main agents.

Now I have opted for the money instead of the car and have bought a 9-5 2.3 LPT auto. This is a fabulous car - not quite as roomy as the 9000, but considerably more refined - at 90 on the motorway (autobahn of course) it is almost silent and is pulling less than 3000rpm. (thinks: does this mean it is geared to do 180mph in top at the redline !)

Anyway, now that it is my car rather than a company car, I have decided to change the oil every 6,000 miles, midway between the service intervals. I am an ex-motorcyclist who fell foul of various Hondas with small oil-ways which ran their top-ends dry, and am possibly rather paranoid about this !

Thanks for the tip about oils - I will give both those oils a try. The one you recommended for the gearbox - does this hold good for an autobox ?

Thanks for the URL link - just what I was looking for, and highly informative.

Regards

Philip

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're welcome Philip!

Actually the ATF-oil IS an automatic oil (ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid!). Saab is using ATF-oil for both their automatic as well as their manual gearboxes. They started to do this around 1996, so yes, you can use it in your autobox!

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts