Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn. Just when all was going so well...and then suddenly that rubbery/graunchy/grating feel when I change from 2nd to 3rd. Sure enough, synchro failure (or imminent) diagnosed by Saab tech.

I don't yet have the funds for a rebuild or replacement, so my questions is: how long have any of you with this problem survived with the 'box until replacement? (BTW, I have a 2.3CSE LPT, manual, '96 with 120K). It's only just started, and with 'normal' driving, there's virtually no impedance thru' the gate. I'm trying to gate smoothly for the time-being, and I will drain-flush-fill the box next weekend.

BillJ: From a previous thread, it seems you got away with about 4-5 months' driving on your Aero's box before replacement - is that right?

Any feedback would be very welcome!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Saab-jager:
[qb]BillJ: From a previous thread, it seems you got away with about 4-5 months' driving on your Aero's box before replacement - is that right?[/qb][/b]
Mine had actually been doing it for a couple of years. It started out on quick shifts at high RPM and gradually got worse.

Alan, I know you have more pressing worries with your car at the moment, but I found with mine that a slight pause between disengaging the previous gear and selecting 3rd was a fairly good way to avoid the "crunch". It worked when I was driving your car too, but only when I remembered to do it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.