Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my water pump are there any major problems I might come across

looked at haynes and it seems okay ?????

also on my di unit it states plug gap of 1mm
butr haynes says .9mm I have tried 1mm and it seem to mis fire is the di unit telling lies

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm sure 1mm is correct for DI ignition so DI unit might be suspect.
Water pump is pretty straightforward, I replaced mine a few weeks ago. Only awkward bit was undoing the banjo for the turbo coolant pipe because the lamda sensor got in the way. I ended up undoing the downpipe which made access easy. If you haven't got a turbo no worries.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I did the water pump on an '87 9000T and didn't have any problems. The later one probably has the automatic belt tensioner and I have never dealt with one of those.

On the plug gap, the spec. is 1.0mm +0.1/-0.2 (i.e.0.8-1.1mm). If 1mm causes the car to misfire while 0.9mm does not, then your DI cassette is on the way out. I run mine at 1.1mm for best low-speed running and don't have any misfires at higher RPM, and my boost pressure is well above anything Saab ever intended. The plug gaps in my CSE were about 1.4mm when I got it (I soon fixed that!) but it was not showing any signs of misfiring.

Chances are that even at 0.9mm, you will eventually start to see misfires under load and it will get worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.