Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we please have a survey as to the normal running point on the gauge?
My 9-3 2.0LPT seems to me to run hot - it runs just above half way (i.e. pointing just above the 9 o'clock position) and the fan comes on almost as soon as I get in slow traffic.
I am wondering about the rad, which came from a 900III - mine was damaged and I coulkdn't afford new. I did not get a look at the rad before it was fitted.
(Finally, I don't know where it ran before because I bought the car already damaged).

·
Registered
138 Posts
If the radiator is the same size as the original it should have the same cooling efficiency.It's unusual to experience that sort of temperature this time of year,usually the gauge reads between 1/4 and 1/2 way when moving.If the thermostat is not opening fully this may cause the engine to run hotter than usual or maybe there is a blockage somewhere.Let me know how you get on.
Dazzel

·
Registered
865 Posts
my 1990 9000s sits half way when running but is quick to go to 10,o.clock when sitting in traffic all the saab,s i have owned run hot/it used to worry me, but i guess thats the way they are .....as long as fan cuts in i would not worry.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My 9000 2.3 sits just above 9 oclock during normal running and swings upto just past 10 in traffic - but the fan kicks in (you can hear it load the engine!) and it drops down quite quickly.

The problem is when it doesn't get upto the middle in a reasonable time (5-6 minutes for mine) as it means the engine is not getting upto running temperature

Steve

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I'm reassured now.
My situation is aggravated because I live at the top of a long steep hill. In the morning I travel for 7 mins or so downhill all the way, car gauge doesn't move. In evening then I have to boot it up the hill and I arrive home with engine well hot. (I do let engine run on to avoid Turbo caking but then the cooling fan cuts in).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Most 9000's run with the temp gauge just above 9 o'clock position this is normal if it runs under this the engine is not at temp,so this could result in higher fuel consumtion as the e c u thinks the engine is still cold and fueling acordingly, if it runs higher have it check out but haveing said this on the two or three days of summer the gauge can get closer to 10 o'clock before the fan kicks in this again is normal

aym

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Cold running engines are usually a sign that an incorrect spec thermostat is fitted, or it has failed open. (Not sure if the Saab thermostat can fail open though).

NB: Their are different spec thermostats for Saabs, so you would need to get the right part number and then check the unit on your car.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all, 9-10o'clock seems ok, then. My 9000Carlsson rarely gets above 7o'clock (half way from start to middle) so p'raps I'll look at 'stat. As I said elsewhere, I live on top of a long hill and this means a long time to warm up, but hot engine when I climb back home again!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Summary of my cars
9000 Aero -- exactly in middle of guage, never ever got to the red even on hot days in traffic (cooling fan comes on at about 10 o'clock position).

9000 2.3 CSE EC0 -- normally runs just above half , but if you stop for any reason the guage takes about 30 seconds to just touch the red zone before cooling fan cuts in. Fan seems to come on an awful lot. Local main dealer says this is normal (I and previous owner asked seperately)

9000 2.3 nonturbo --needle normally just below 1/4 gradually creeps up to red when stuck in traffic

So its seem just about anything is normal ??, I would be fairly relaxed about things so long as the cooling fan comes on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts