Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a problem on my 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo, it's using a lot of water (fill it up once a week). I've had a look and can't see any leaks, not when I've check the oil has any water been mixed in there.

Anyone got any ideas of what I can check?

Sorry if I don't reply until tomorrow, but works got some event on and they've dragged me into it.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
552 Posts
The simplest way to check for leaky hoses is to let the engine get as hot as possible and check for steam under the bonnet.

Any hose connection is suspect, plus the radiator itself, but any leak should be obvious under pressure, especially in this cold weather.

If nothing, then the heater core is a possibility - symptoms are usually a damp patch on the carpet and the windscreen steaming up more than normal.

If not, I understand it is possible to lose water through a leaking head gasket, without it mixing with the oil, but this should show at the exhaust pipe.

I'd try the simple approach first, though, to save time and money.

·
Registered
368 Posts
hi
i had that broblem it wos leaking from a seal in the thottle body wear the pre heater pipes go in and also its worth looking at the pipe to the right hand side of the tubo its about 3in long the two gave me daily water loss hope this helps

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that's given me a few things to check when the rain stops

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, had to much to drink on Thursday, and have only just been able to get up

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After endless looking about the car for a coolant leak, I found nothing, so I decided to get my friendly the guys at my local Saab garage (not mail dealer, although the one guy worked at the main dealers for 15yrs).

It's not good news though, he took the plugs out and whilst looking through the spark plug holes and gently rocking the car we could see water on top of the second cylinder, and the plug was a bit rusty. So the head gasket has gone.

Guess this explains why it seemed a bit smoky when first started, turns out it was steam. Plus the performance was down. But, on a plus the water and oil haven't mixed.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Coolant loss with no oil/water mixing is IMHO standard with Saab - or at least quite usual. I've done four 9k head gaskets now and none of them had any signs of oil and water mixing, just coolant into one of the cylinders.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to know it's nothing out of the ordinary not having an oil/coolant mix, plus save some work flushing the engine to clear it all if it had of mixed.

I'm going to start work on it on Sat, a local garage has agreed to do it for £100 if I help them, so thought why not. Never done it before, so I'll learn something new.

People have mentioned to me about getting the head skimmed. Would you think this is necessary?

Also, any idea's where's good to get the gasket set from? Haven't looked yet, but will check out elkparts in a bit.

Any idea how long this sort of job would take?

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
You will need to get the head skimmed if it's pitted, especially if the pits are in critical areas. If you have water passing into a cylinder from a nearby waterway, I would expect some erosion of the head. May not be much, but even if a new gasket seals, it will be a weak point for the future. Also skimming makes it easier to inspect for cracks.

If you are just doing the head gasket you can do it in half a day. But I would clean everything and check the valve seats - possibly regrind them at the same time.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Certainly does, try removing the expansion bottle cap and pop it on loosely. I had to do this for a while to drive the car a week before I could get it in for gasket change. I'd rather run with a depressurised system than risk blowing a hose half way down the M1 on my way home.

David.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.