Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I recently nearly had a big problem with my 93 2.3i CSE. On a dark evening drive home I took a look in the rear view mirror to see loads of " spray" behind the car. As the roads were pretty dry I was a bit suspicious and stopped the car in a lay by. As I stopped, the car was engulfed in steam. On investigating, I found the small hose between the thermostat housing and the Plenum chaber had rubbed on another hose and worn through , dumping all the water. Thankfully I caught it soon and averted meltdown.
I was wonedring if any of you had a lw water level monitor on your motors and if so what model do I need to copy for the bits. Failing that, I am prototyping an idea of my own which could flash a light/sound a buzzer if the header tank level falls, for a cost of about £10 if anyone is interested(dead easy to install)
Cheers
AB

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I may be mistaken but I thought a low level water sensor was standard in the 9k. Have a look in your header tank to see if there is a float. Inside the tank to the right, looking from the front, this may be stuck as it sticks on mine and doesn't work very effectively.

HTH

Neil

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta Neil
Mine has nothing to warn of terminal water loss. I think this is only fitted to the turbo's. I'm in two minds as to whether copy the turbo set up with fitting replacement original parts or trying to pioneer my own set up( no moving or wet parts and no intrusion into the existing set up and therefore damp proof, sticking proof and failsafe). I have designed my set up to light up the pictogram display as well as sound a buzzer and if anyone wants a totally failsafe system it could even stop the engine after a pre-determined warning of, say, one minute. Any takers and I'm happy to share or even fit if you pay for the parts.
AB

·
Registered
260 Posts
Strange! My '91 model has this warning, and it saved my engine a while back when one of the hoses blew at high speed. I didn't believe it when the light started flashing, but when it came on constantly I stopped for a look. Thank goodness I did!!!!!!!

Pete.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My '87 &'88 both had sensor one turbo one not. I believe even if yours does not you might still have the dash light and plug for it(simply not used on your model). If it does then you could pik up a used bottle that has the sensor and "Voila". I have upgraded several older 9000's because they make it so easy.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick one to follow this if anyone could help please. The switch below the header tank on your models... what colour are the wires and more specifically what colour are the wires it plugs into on the car. I have a two pin socket near the header tank with nothing attached.. flat on one side , rounded on the corners on the other. Is this the one

Cheers in advance
AB

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi Anthony,

I kept forgetting to post this, maybe you already have the info, the plug coming off the header tank has a red/brown wire and a black wire. This goes forward and plugs into an oval plug attached to the inner wing.

HTH
Neil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.