Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone had an experience of water leaking from the roof lining where the map reading light is mounted?

This only happens when the car has been sitting in the rain for a while.

The car doesn't have a sunroof? it's a 1998 FPT Anniversary

Is it likely to be a problem with the fitting of the windscreen?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dont like the sound of that and its hard to think what else it can be but the windscreen. Others have reported here on otherwise good cars being written off due to water and rust inside the bottom of the windscreen.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had water leaking from there, it used to run down the mirror stalk and drip off the map lamp and collect next to gear lever. Only happened after prolonged heavy rain.
Turned out to be the windscreen/body bond - as you might expect. I got the screen resealed for the huge cost of £133 - most of that being the £70-odd for the new finishers.
1996 CSE, no sunroof.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by dave225:
[qb]I got the screen resealed for the huge cost of £133 - most of that being the £70-odd for the new finishers.
1996 CSE, no sunroof. [/qb][/b]
Would it not have been cheaper to have a new windscreen put in and just pay the £50 XS on your insurance?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If it's leaking then it sounds like there's been a bad job done on replacing the windscreen at some point. This being the case, there's also the risk of uncovering significant rust all round the aperture when you take it out .

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by dave225:
[qb] QUOTE
Would it not have been cheaper to have a new windscreen put in and just pay the £50 XS on your insurance? [/qb][/b]
Only if you've got that option on your insurance! [/QB][/b][/quote]Comprehensive and classic policies normally always cover glass. TPFT and TPO policies normally do not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine does that after the occaisonal tropical storm. Though I have found it depends how well the sunroof is shut. Mine does not 'click' when it is in the closed position, so I have to do it by feel. Is there a cure for my non click problem?

I'm pretty sure its not coming from the windscreen in my car as its only happened when the car is standing still.

I've pulled the plastic cover off and seems to drip from above the sunroof motor.

Hope this helps.

Billy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had a sunroof that didn't click shut, and I reckoned the problem was the foam seal that sits around the rim of the sunroof panel had age-hardened - the motor struggled to drive the roof home and it kept tripping out. I sold the car before I fixed it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Believe it or not, Kleen-Eze sell a cure for this type of problem.
I had a Porsche 924 with the same problem, I purchased a bottle of this creep sealer, and after 2 or 3 applications, no more leaks, and this dries up so as to be invisible.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by alanrp123:
[qb]Believe it or not, Kleen-Eze sell a cure for this type of problem.
I had a Porsche 924 with the same problem, I purchased a bottle of this creep sealer, and after 2 or 3 applications, no more leaks, and this dries up so as to be invisible. [/qb][/b]
Alan,

Did your 924 have a sunroof or was it down to poor fitment of the windscreen?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
My 1998 Anniversary does exactly the same - in heavy rain.

This is obviously a design fault as the car has not had a screen replacement - and this is the third report in the same thread!

Obviously the water is ingressing around the metal clip at the top/centre of the windscreen. I am planning on wiping silicon sealant (clear) around this clip sometime soon - to fix it.

Otherwise, it will be a £50 excess job and new screen on standard comp insurance cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's one with a twist for you ...

My 98 9-5 Saab started to leak through the microphone holes [?] next to the map reading light after taking it to Sainsbury's Car Wash last Saturday.

Dripping onto the gear lever ...

I also have a recent dent in the windscreen - flying stones from a lorry on the motorway ...

Replacement windscreen on Insurance - to fix both problems ?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I had the same problem and initially it was due to the seal drying out and shrinking. As a short term cure I lifted the external trim at the very top centre of the screen and inserted in the gap you see there something I had to hand - Blu Tack! Pushed it all back together and end of problem.

However the screen was quite badly pitted making autumn and spring driving a pain, and was also de-laminating at the edges, so I got a new screen fitted by RAC windscreens - and the problem started all over again. It is now almost completely cured, but only after RAC used tons of sealant around the _third_ screen they fitted. I guess I should have told them about the Blu-Tack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.