Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my 99T rebuild and modification I'm wanting to fit a water injection system to help keep the tops of the pistons intact as we increase the power levels.

I'm reasonably familiar with the Aquamist system, and DIY versions of the same, but I've seen some details of a system that uses a pressurised water reservoir instead of a pump which makes it cheaper and obviously much simpler.

link : water injection system

The 99T isn't the most sophisticated car in the world and I feel that the Aquamist system is perhaps a bit 'technical' ( ie expensive) for it.

Does anyone have any experience of this alternative or any thoughts on it?

( I hope I don't confuse any of the younger members of the forum who didn't think that Saab had got as far as designating a 9-9 model yet )

·
Registered
234 Posts
I came across this website a few weeks ago when I was looking into various systems. There seems to be two problems:

1) It uses boost pressure, which is only going to be in the 10-20 psi range. To get good atomisation, you generally need 50-100 psi.

2) If you're injecting just before the manifold, and using manifold pressure to inject, the pressure either side of the nozzle will be the same, won't it? How is that going to work then?

They suggest the kits have been used successfully, so it must work to an extent, but I'd steer clear personally.

For very similar money, I'd go for this one: Budget water injection kit

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
the problem with those boost driven systems, is that you have to inject before the turbo. this causes pitting of the compressor wheel after some time. you also need a check valve so that the suction doesnt suck water through the jet on overrun or idle etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts