Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Abbott Racing are now doing water injection kits for 9000's.

Prices are "Water Injection Kit, £675 Fitted, £510 Supply Only".

Doesn't mention any performance gain - does it just cool things down to get better boost, as you tend to get on colder days?

Anyone done water injection on a 9000? Seems expensive....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Im not a mech but

When you tune you engine ECU or boost valve, you increase turbo pressure = more turbo rpm = more engine heat, it as helps to stop pre-detination
You have seen the guys on here with tweaked engines would only put super unleaded or optimax in.It stops you melting holes in your pistons. In a nut shell you can run a lot higher levels of boost far safer........and I would love one

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
As mpen says it does stop detonation (apc does this anyway) but allows higher boost levels so it is usefull when you have tweaked the boost level (bleed valve ,dawes device,remap ecu etc)I do not know how usefull it is to fit to a std car.. in theory ,with the way the apc works, it should allow higher boost levels ,and with lower octane fuel..
The other thing to watch is leaning out which water injection will not help (this requires bigger fuel injectors,higher fuel rail pressures and perhaps a manifold fuel injector)
but now we are talking serious hp .over 300
Has anyone done this ?..(there was that aero that had all of abbotts catalogue on it ....)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin Mc:
[qb]I see Abbott Racing are now doing water injection kits for 9000's.

Prices are "Water Injection Kit, £675 Fitted, £510 Supply Only".

Doesn't mention any performance gain - does it just cool things down to get better boost, as you tend to get on colder days?

Anyone done water injection on a 9000? Seems expensive....[/qb][/b]
Without wishing to be too disengenious to our friends at Abbott, the Aquamist 1S kit normally retails for around £310 from the likes of Demon Tweeks.

As for it working, yes it does. Apart from solving pinking problems, it will also help fuel economy and maximise top end hp output.

How? Well on eof the things engine management systems do is try to monitor combustion temps- the DI unit is particularly good at doing that. When the EMS sees temps are rising too high, it tries to cool things off. One of the common techniques for doing this is to add more fuel- more fuel than can be burnt. This "extra" fuel helps to soak up excess combustion heat, thereby reducing temperatures. Water on the other hand, has a much higher specific heat capacity than fuel and will do a better job of cooling, so with a water injection system you're less likely to waste fuel for cooling. That's your economy.

As for performance, I can't recall why at the moment but having your mixture too rich limits ultimate power.

So you win all ways with water injection

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.