Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 1994 9k cse lpt i have to top my radiator water level up regularly there doesnt appear to be any leaks and i have tried rad weld and an egg just in case. my temp guage in the vehicle doesnt work however my fan kicks in regularly why am i using so much water any ideas

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by stupot:
[qb]i have tried rad weld and an egg just in case[/qb][/b]
You're joking about the egg?

Is there a smell of antifreeze inside the car (assuming there is antifreeze in the coolant, and you haven't simply been topping it up with water)?
That would indicate a leaking heater matrix.

Any sign of oil in the coolant? This could point to a head gasket problem (or a radiator problem if the car is an auto).

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Stu,

How much water are we talking about here?

Have you looked at the dipstick for mayonaise? (The look of the oil when water starts mixing with it..) Otherwise it may be getting into a cylinder, (free water injection!) check with a compression tester for low pressure in one or two cylinders compared to the rest. Either way it might be the head gasket.

Nick.

edit- must learn to type quicker..

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by stupot:
[qb]oh by the way bill the egg seemed to work better than the radweld, there must be some truth in old wives tales [/qb][/b]
I've no doubt it's effective at sealing leaks, but I dread to think what it does to the narrow channels in the radiator.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If the egg didn't work ,wasn't the next thing to try a handful of oatmeal, or was that what you did to stop a wooden boat from leaking? Or was that a bucket of sawdust.

No visable signs of leaks - but can you smell anything anywhere?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I had no sign of visible leaks on our K reg CSE 2.3T. Drank quite a bit of water... got to work oe winter morning .. Check Radiator came on... looked under the bonnet..steam pouring out of engine from under inlet manifold.

Took it to the garage.. turned out the rear hose to the thermostat was totally loose....so check that too.

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The other Achilles' heel for 9000 water leaks is the water pump itself where it attaches and (hopefully) seals to the block with a couple of O rings. Not the most satisfactory method I'm afraid. Any work that has been carried out in that area may have disturbed them slightly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Be careful with radweld I used it a few years back on a vw golf that I had.... the leak was fixed but reappeared a while after. I took the radiator off and looked inside it, it was totally clogged with a strange white substance (radweld).
Which had to have screwed up the water flow within the radiator. I then flung the radiator aside and got a replacement...

It clogs it up the leakage ok, but it also clogs up the small channels in the radiator which wont help the cooling effect. Id be more inclined to flush the radweld out and repair by soldering etc if possible.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Also the leak may only appear when the car has warmed up and running when the pressure comes on the cooling system. Might be worth a try to start up car and leave it idling for a while, letting it warm up and then looking around for leaks..

Did the temp gauge work before you put the radweld into the system? Id try and get that sorted, at least you know yourself what the car is doing rather than hoping the fan comes on by itself.

Just be careful if your stuck in traffic!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts