Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I've got an Elkparts strut brace on my Aero (had it on for 6 months or so) and wondered if I should have any washers between the brace and the top of the strut towers. May defeat the object, I know, but I don't like the idea of powder coated metal against painted metal, and possible rust problems of the future...

Also, and idea what those three nuts should be torqued at?

Any thoughts?

Ta,
Z

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I found washers between the brace and the towers helped enourmously with making things true, as the plates are not moudled to the profile of the tower. ISTR I put around 1.5mm under one, 3mm under another and 4.5mm under the 3rd i.e. 1, 2 & 3 washers. Try it and see how it works for you.

It will not affect the operation.

As for torque, I don't have it to hand but I'd say whatever value is normally recommended for the bolts in the manual.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]as the plates are not moudled to the profile of the tower. [/qb][/b]
I didn't use any washers, but I found the plate bends enough that this wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Bending the plates is bad news IMO. If painted it makes it more likely that the paint will crack. It also puts unwanted strain on the welds and bolts.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]Bending the plates is bad news IMO. If painted it makes it more likely that the paint will crack. It also puts unwanted strain on the welds and bolts. [/qb][/b]
It's what Elkparts said to do, so I think it's designed to cope. And yes, the paint cracks, but it doesn't look like steel underneath (I know the main bar is stainless steel) so I'm not bothered. The metal for the plates is soft enough that I don't think the strain adds up to much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts