Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a piddling little problem to be putting on this forum...but anyway,

My rear washer on my aero doesn't work and my fluid seems to disappear very quickly from the resovoir. I have stopped using the rear washer until it is fixed, so this is not the reason for the loss. I have noticed though, just after refilling the washer resovoir, that I can see it dribbling out of the head lamp washers. Is it likely that with the rear washer disconnected somewhere the fluid is now able to syphon out of the lamp washers? Is there a common place for the rear washer feed to become disconnected? If syphoning is not the cause of the washer fluid disappearing, is there some common cause for this? I can not see anything wrong on visual inspection.

Cheers for any advice
Kev

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Not sure how they work on the 9000 as my GM 900 appears to have a reversible motor and my old 9000 didn't have rear washer - it is possible that if the diaphram in the non-return valve has split there simply isn't enough pressure pushing it to the back as it is taking the easiest route out i.e.behind the headlight. Try replacing the leaking valve first then it is a question of back tracking the joints until you find a blockage or other leakage. Not a piddling question as it seems to be quite a common fault.
Mike

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
there are 2 motors one for the windscreen one for the rear window, the one for the rear window on my cs was blocked so i pulled the pipe from the pump and connected it to the airpump i have for blowing up my tyres, this cleared the blockage, as for the leak it sounds like the non return valve to the headlight washers is u/s.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
There is a t-piece in the OSF wing which may be the cause of the headlight drip, but the rear wash one could be the one way valve that is either in the rear headlining (fun when it leaks), or in the high level brake light.

On mine, the valve stuck shut and the rear wash wourked after a quick change of valve.

Also, try to listen for the rear WW pump with the engine off, and the Carly I have had a dead pump when I bought it.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I'd drag this up from the depths to say the problem turned out to be that both the headlamp/windscreen washer line non return valve AND the non return on the rear window washer had been fitted **** upwards.....not by me I would add. Everything working correctly now

I don't know who owned this car before me, but they were a mechanical nightmare. All the bolts are either too tight, so loose they are hanging out of their holes , or missing all together

Kev

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Lee
I'm assuming this is right....I blew through the valves assuming that there should not be a direct un regulated flow of water to either the windscreen or head lamp washers (the cause of all my water syphoning out the head lamp washers). On the two way valve (to the rear window) it is possible to get a small flow of air one way if you blow real hard (Satch' Mo' impression ), while the other way is impossible (exploding berry-head impression
). On the three-way valve there is a direct un regulated flow from one port to another, which I assumed are the feeds to both the windscreen or headlamp washers, while the remiaining port could be blown into (Satch' Mo' again) and so I was assuming this was the entry for the water from the pump.

Don't know for sure that this is right, but at least it works now. The rear window feed was definitely in back to front.

Kev

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If you carefully split the valves you will find either grit inside or a hole in the diaphram - little rubber circle - I have repaired before now with Humbrol Maskol (masking fluid for model making) but is only a temporary solution.

Mike

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mike
I had actually bought replacemnt valves in anticipation of their being duff. In the end there was nothing wrong with the ones I had in there except they were fitted incorrectly

I will have to prise apart one of the spares to see how they work
Kev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.