Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,ive been out of the frame for a while so i hope everyone is ok.
last sunday i was having a blat in my stg 1 aero and whilst nipping past a couple of cars off a roundabout,another cs9kt appeared on my bumper.i floored it in 3rd then fourth,shot round another roundabout same thing again,braked hard to take first turn off next roundabout and he went straight on and we parted company so to say.
it was only when he went past on the outside lane as i was braking that i saw that it was also an aero.now the thing is whilst he couldnt really keep up,i didnt really loose him either on this event.could it be that it was also chipped?,or mine is chipped(abbott),but not that fast(ie naff chip or a problem,although she feels fine)?,or that a standard 225hp aero isnt that much slower than a 265/270hp aero in a situation like this?
whats the prognosis?
simon

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I reckon a sweet running Aero over a shortish distance wont be far behind a chipped car. Even 0-100 they will only be about 2 secs apart which in time isnt long (although the distance apart quite a lot).
So - Stage 1 will be 'slightly' faster than a standard car in real terms and variation in driver style is enough to reduce the difference further. I'd say you need a longish distance or LOTS more power to really notice a big difference.
As for 'aving a go, I never seem to encounter anyone I think the 9k is just too subtle to be noticed by the racer brigade...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It may be that he just came round the roundabout faster. I find myself in this position a lot where someone streaks past me on the way to work (I tend to stay within the speed limit) in a "fast" car, then I catch them up on the exit from the next roundabout, even if I'm driving one of my "slower" Saabs like the CSE 2.0LPT or often even the 90.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]As for 'aving a go, I never seem to encounter anyone        I think the 9k is just too subtle to be noticed by the racer brigade... [/qb][/b]
I'd agree - my 9000s seldom attract "boy racers". My black T16S, on the other hand...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I followed a friend home yesterday, he was in his standard 9000 aero, and I was in my 9000 2.3T stg 3 ( which I still don't think is running quite to the max yet, but then doesn't everone with a modded 9000!?).
There was so little in it , the biggest difference is in the twisty bits, because my suspension/wheels are modified although you do have to put on your brave driving pants if you are going to play hard
Just out of interest what colour was that aero?

Later Dulux

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tuned Aeros really show there stuff at high speeds in 4th and 5th gear. Where it is legal to use full throttle in the upper gears the tuned car is much faster, say if you accel from 80mph to 140mph.

Enjoy what sounds like a great car!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It may be that he just came round the roundabout faster. I find myself in this position a lot where someone streaks past me on the way to work (I tend to stay within the speed limit) in a "fast" car, then I catch them up on the exit from the next roundabout, even if I'm driving one of my "slower" Saabs like the CSE 2.0LPT or often even the 90.[/b]
Sounds like your driving style Bill J is very similar to mine!

Back in my mispent youth, I left a 900 Turbo behind on a windy country B round, driving nothing more than a 1.3 Fi*t Str*da, with standard 175/70/14 tyres! I knew tha cars limit, and the colleague behind ran out of bottle at the 70mph mark... Anyway, wasn't that how Mr Carlsson himself used to rally his 2 stroke Saabs... fling them around the bends whilst everyone else was braking... then he used to back of the throttle and coat the windscreen of the car behind with a nice layer of oil from his exhaust!! - alls fair in racing..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all,
interesting views on this.it was a black "M"plate with its driving lights on.time was about 1pm going from polegate to the boship roundabout at hailsham.i went off down the dicker and he went round to the horam or horsebridge.if it was you tricxy,please put me out of my misery and fill me in on the spec.please tell me its a stg 10!!
simon
ps if it was smoking im not surprised,as i was on WOT!!,but did it look untoward?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got an Abbott chip in my Aero plus a number of other mods and I do remember that, at one meet, a relatively standard Aero (sports filter only)(damn you, Mpen!) was pulling away from me at junctions. It may be that Abbott programming is biased towards overtaking speeds at the expense of traffic-light drags.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Didn't Carlsson used to say his secret was "Less brake, more accelerator" or something like that?
I once sped past a Skyline on one of the roundabouts on my way to work. He'd passed me earlier and he was really annoyed that I out-drove his turbo-nutter mega-handling sports-machine very convincingly in a big soggy executive car. If only he'd known it only had a little 150hp engine too

Then again, it was only a GTS. If it had been a GTR it would have been something to shout about

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Coming off a roundabout is where I get most my fun. The 9000's sorted suspension means it doesn't do anything spectacular, just sucks itself onto the road, while the revs/speed combination is just right to show off the turbo effect to one's satisfaction. And to the puzzlement, the other day, of the Audi TT that was pushing my bumper as we approached the roundabout (near Roston, Bill, you know the one), he was still pushing as we came round it; once the car in front of me was out of the way I gave it 60% throttle and he just about kept up ... then I gave it the rest. Tee Hee!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
in my aero, i cant even bait 'fully sick" body kitted, brand stickers all down the sides, vinyl crud all up the sides ricer GTS-T's here... the only things that will try me are Astra's and civics, with the occasional Suzuki Swift GTi

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think it has as much to do with driving skill (or lack thereof)- returning after last year's trackday I saw off VX220 in a couple of roundabouts in MK! Whilst my 9k might be able to outdrag it once moving, I'm very surprised it was apparently more than a match for it in the twistys...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]I think it has as much to do with driving skill[/qb][/b]
That was really my point - if the "mystery" Aero driver took the roundabout better then his exit speed will have been higher and that makes up for an awful lot of power.

No matter how good a driver you are, there's always a better one somewhere and some day you might meet him.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
There was a Skyline driver at Goodwood last February who must have had something like 130bhp more than me.

He could easily outdrag me on the straights, but on the corners I was all over him ...he was holding me up and wouldn't let me past because on the straight he would just rocket away from me.

Power is good, but you have to know how to use it. Something like 50% more power than me and he couldn't take the thing around corners.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, that would have been me then - we were late for lunch with the in-laws!

Don't know about driver skill - I had the Mrs. on-board which always hampers taking roundabouts too fast. If you are coming to Goodwood I'm sure I'll show just how bad I am there - I was all out on the straights though, and couldn't make any ground up on you, so presumed you were as well - especially with the soot on each gearchange (just unburnt fuel).

I'm afraid though my car is pretty standard - in fact, apart from a few Poly bushes there are no performance parts at all - it does have an LPT final drive though, although I'm not sure if this would have helped or hindered to be honest.

It was probably the silver dash giving +60bhp.

Nice blue Aero by the way.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've got an Abbott chip in my Aero plus a number of other mods and I do remember that, at one meet, a relatively standard Aero (sports filter only)(damn you, Mpen!) was pulling away from me at junctions.  [/b]
Gordy you should of seen it go when it had all the Elkpart stage 3 gear on. A real gearbox muncher

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.