Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been running rough for a while now and lately developed a very high, erratic idle.

Anyway, after a bit of bit of diagnostic work this afternoon we found that the problem was the Thottle Position Sensor. I took the old one off and found this:

Note the rust and tell-tale limescale deposits... I use water injection and it's clear that under boost pressure some of the mist has forced it's way down the butterfly shaft and out in to the sensor, hence the rust and demise.

Beware!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've changed to using distilled water as a precaution some months back (when I can
) as I noticed very, very mild limescale depsosits on the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I thought my running problems might be similar to yours and took my throttle body off last night but it was spotless, I've been running water injection for quite a while now but always have a 50% methanol mix. Also my body is an electronic throttle which looks different from the pic above. However I took both side plates off and lubed everything up.
Just an observation, since my upgrade i removed the engine breather pipe from the intake system and all the pipework and throttle body was spotless, unlike before when the system was as per factory.
I'm going down the route of a dodgy crank sensor now as the cause of my steady throttle misfire, under acceleration everything seems okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts