Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a bigger problem than wondering whether to fit APC. Having had the car for just over a day, the systems will not respond to either remote fob. I am not bothered about the central locking, quite happy to use a key. But I cannot start the thing as the immobiliser will not release. The fobs flash their little lights (a bit dim but they flash) but will not work anything, tailgate, locks or immobiliser. What does one do with it? Is it possible to have the VSS disabled (presumably only when it is working)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
2 things I can suggest to start with, the receiver is behind the rear view mirror, (well, is on mine) so point it at that and the other is to quickly press the button around 5 times, this is supposed to marry up the fob and the system. Don't think changing the batteries would do any harm either.

The ECU can be changed so it gets rid of the problem all together :) Other way is through TechII?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, was going to try and get new batteries tomorrow just to try. I have pressed the buttons endless times trying to get things to work.
If I switch the ECU with a non VSS unit (like out of my other 2.3 FPT) will things work without VSS, or will it still be immobilised?

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Alan,

As far as I understand the system, there is a VSS module ( in the footwell somewhere ) which sets a 'bit' on the main engine management ecu. Your choices are: Get the key fob to 'talk' with the VSS, have the 'bit' disabled on your main ecu, or to swap ecu's as you suggest. Buy a spare matched set of fob and VSS module. Should be available in scrappies or E-Bay

Nos 1 and 2 require the assitance of Tech II but No. 3 is a DIY job As is 4. This assumes that the two car models are compatible. I think the crunch date is around late 1994.

Paul @ Kippen.

Sorry, could also be a dodgy connection in the fob. Not uncommon for the battery connections to the circuit board to crack. A little gentle resoldering generally helps. The trigger to me was the dim flashing. Mine does that and requires manipulation on a regular basis.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Alan ,this is my nightmare scenario. My 1995 CDE did not have VSS. My 97 Aero does, and since I do a lot of continental driving in it I dread a VSS problem popping up. Have you had any dealings with Saabtech? Ian is usually only too happy to discuss issues and diagnose over the phone. I had an intermittent problem with the c/l on the Aero a few years back. Ian diagnosed faulty circuit boards in the fobs. He repaired one foc but the other was scrap. I felt a bit vunerable with only one working fob so I ordered two new ones. The price from Saabtech in May 09 for the fobs plus programming to the car was £110 incl vat. This seemed a reasonable price to me. I now have 3 working fobs and no probs for the last 20000mls. I still worry about the VSS though and wish I didnt have it. Sorry I can't help other than suggest you speak to one of the besr indys in the business.
Roger

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Have put new batteries in and will try tomorrow night if I get back in time as car is stuck over at my parents. The flashing looks a little stronger so hope it works.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, it does not appear to be the batteries. I invested heavily as I could not wait for the cheap batteries ordered over the internet but tried the 5 click routine and nothing happened. One question to the knowledgeable, if the door locking and immobiliser are separate should the doors not unlock if the plipper was working? I get nothing at all from the plipper although the central locking works with the key. Have not tried soldering yet, not sure the eyes are up to the micro circuits.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to be solved - for now!
Spoke to Wayne at Sarbtech (nee SES) about programming VSS out of the ECU and he said he could do it with Tech2. He also mentioned that it was affected by a fuse (he thought 5A). I checked the fuses today and the 5A were OK but found the Radio fuse 19 was blown (had been OK as the readio was working). Replaced that and then it worked(??). Briefly! My son hit the button for the tailgate release and the CL fuse blew, which seemed to stop the immobiliser again. I had changed the tailgate lock last week for the one from my other car as this one had the usual spring broken and did not always close properly. The numbers were a little different but I thought they were interchangeable and it seemed to work OK at the time. Also changed a dodgy back door motor on the new car in case that was blowing the fuse. I found that you have to re-sync the plipper with the system each time a fuse blows but it all seems to be working at the moment. Not sure if I really trust it though!

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Alan,

You've hit the nail on the head with your thought that the wiring could be different on the two boots locks. There was a change which caught me out about 18 months - 2 years ago. If you do a search you should find it. I'm sure I outlined the problem there. I swapped the catches as you did then had to 'repair' the old one and refit. The memory is hazy on the details but I think you can do a mod to the wiring to allow it to work. I just made a little tool and fiddled on a new spring.

Paul @ Kippen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems to be solved - for now!
Spoke to Wayne at Sarbtech (nee SES) about programming VSS out of the ECU and he said he could do it with Tech2. He also mentioned that it was affected by a fuse (he thought 5A). I checked the fuses today and the 5A were OK but found the Radio fuse 19 was blown (had been OK as the readio was working). Replaced that and then it worked(??). Briefly! My son hit the button for the tailgate release and the CL fuse blew, which seemed to stop the immobiliser again. I had changed the tailgate lock last week for the one from my other car as this one had the usual spring broken and did not always close properly. The numbers were a little different but I thought they were interchangeable and it seemed to work OK at the time. Also changed a dodgy back door motor on the new car in case that was blowing the fuse. I found that you have to re-sync the plipper with the system each time a fuse blows but it all seems to be working at the moment. Not sure if I really trust it though!
10 years after with a 1996 saab 9000 . Exactly the same issue with the FOB and VSS locking my engine to start. Did also change the tailgate lock last week and noticed , having reading you, that my car audio was not working anymore . Fuse was blown 👍. Did change it now and everything is ok for now but I will avoid to open the tailgate using the FOb.
I just wanted to thank you because I’m lost in the centre of France and I have to go back to Paris this Saturday . You made my Day 👌

1 - 10 of 10 Posts