Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9000i everything mechanically is fine but my control display and headlamps flicker/ fluctuate.
variation in voltage. also voltage display goes from 14 to 14.5 and even 15 volts. am I correct in thinking this is caused by a faulty voltage regulator. If so does anybody know of a cheaper source as ecp do not carry them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Gelcoat

Have exactly the same symptoms myself :-

The car was laid-up for 6 months (Demolished gearbox )
After the gearbox transplant, the aux. drive belt rear idler wheel spat out its bearing . After fixing this (new wheel, new belt (only 3000km old)and welded tensioner bracket), all the lights now flicker when driving and flash at about 5-10 Hz at tickover. The displayed voltage jumps eraticallly between 13.9 and 14.5 V. The brush holder/regulator has only done 3000 km.

New regulator ??
Any other ideas chaps?

Cheers
David

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gelcoat,Boarder, how goes it?
I had the alternator go belly up on my last 2.3 hatch (91my) about 3yrs back & being a total tightwad,thought to change the regulator instead of the complete unit. I figured bosch alt = bosch regulator,went to my local outlet i use (which doesnt begin with an 'E') and got one from some german thing
Fitted it on,back up to 13.5>14V just like the old days. I was lucky it was just that tho',did NOT want to do that job to often on a 2.3 again. 2.0 easier? i dont know
happy hunting. G

·
Registered
330 Posts
OOP's
forget to say it only costed 'bout £15 with dreaded VAT,which saved about £90 back then on the price of an alternator ,but as i said,think i was lucky on that one,some cars just need the complete unit.
G.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank Gilbert & Deebel for the advice.

I presume that local outlet is the one that used to do german & swedish but then added another country to it's list.

many thanks

This forum has saved me £££££££'s so next christmas I haVE TO BUY YOU ALL A DRINK!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.