Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I'm hopefully going to be purchasing a 9-3 Viggen soon.
I know they run a small TD04, which aint the best turbo around.
Has anyone on here upgraded from the 04 to something else ?
My plan is to possibly go for a hybrid TD05/06 20g. But need to speak to the turbo supplier first.

Can anyone recommend another type of turbo to suit ?

Other mods i'd be doing are, intercooler, fuel pump and reg (if needed) full de-cat and remap.

Many thanks

Johnny

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've seen a 9000, in Stockholm, that had a TD06-24 installed. I guess they were used, originally, on GM Cyclones. That had MapTun software, too. However, although it would pull like a bull at high rpms, there were lag issues, even with a set of factory-tuned extractor pipes. I think a nice alternative would be a ball-bearinged Garrett, something like the GT2871RS. With the weak dollar, you guys on the other side of the Atlantic should find these a great deal - something to contemplate, anyway! ATP Turbos

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Robert,

Yeah, the prices are fantastic at the moment.
I can get a TD06-20g for around $999/£550

The garrett turbos are good, if i remember correctly from when i spoke to him, i'm sure Ylee Coyote is running a Garrett ? Cant quite remember...i'll PM him.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny50:
[qb]Yeah, the prices are fantastic at the moment.
I can get a TD06-20g for around $999/£550      
[/qb][/b]
Don't forget you'll get stung for the import duty/VAT etc on the items and shipping....

My missus got stung for nearly £30 on a pair of £80 shoes that were sent from the USA.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny50:
[qb]Hi All.

I'm hopefully going to be purchasing a 9-3 Viggen soon.
I know they run a small TD04, which aint the best turbo around.
Has anyone on here upgraded from the 04 to something else ?
My plan is to possibly go for a hybrid TD05/06 20g. But need to speak to the turbo supplier first.

Can anyone recommend another type of turbo to suit ?

Other mods i'd be doing are, intercooler, fuel pump and reg (if needed) full de-cat and remap.

Many thanks

Johnny [/qb][/b]
If you are going to keep your original exhaust manifold, mitsus TD04-18T with 6cm2 exhaust housing is the way to go. Gives plenty of power with full drivability.

If you will use custom exhaust manifold, and custom software mapping, you can select turbo freely based on max output power and drivability issues. There are plenty of good turbos around, for example Garretts, IHIs, KKK:s ( KKK24 for examle ).

Note however, that it's not difficult to make plenty of horsepower on the upper range. What is more difficult ( and expensive ), is to maintain drivability and duration.

If you have money, the best option ( extreme power with full drivability ) is to go for GT30BB with 620cc injectors. You'll need custom made tube exhaust manifold, new downpipe, better fuel pump, ic, modified cylinder head ( ported, better valves and stiffer camshafts ), new clutch, big fuel pump etc. etc. But, you can gain 450 - 500bhp with quite good drivability.

BTW, my 9-5 with B235R was dynoed to 341BHP/505NM with maptun stage 5. This option is something which I can recommend to you! Very strong pull, good duration and reasonable maintenance costs. But, if you are the man, you should go for GT30BB!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, import duty can be a pain.
Last time i bought a turbo from the States i got stung, think it was £80, that was for a $750 IHI turbo.

95power..I was reading your post about the Stage5 upgrade, excellent results.

I'm in 2 minds which way to go.
The car i have at the moment, was modded, i went to equal manifolds, bigger injectors, fuel pump/reg larger intercooler, and custom mapping (which included Anti-lag )And i know how much the costs can creep up.

Ideally i'd like around 310bhp, with good levels of torque with it.

I do still want to keep the driveabilty of the car, and not have too much lag, it's not a big issue for me, but wouldn't want too much.

It's a hard choice...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
The garrett turbos are good, if i remember correctly from when i spoke to him, i'm sure Ylee Coyote is running a Garrett ? Cant quite remember...i'll PM him.[/b]
yep gttb30...

Bit laggy with the standard manifold however

(tubular one on the way)

One thing to watch... the b235 head flows really well but the pistons are a little weak above 300 hp
Maptun supplies upgraded ones for their stage 3 and above iirc

Still not found a viggen?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, as i havn't got the scoob sold yet.

There was a Viggen in Western Saab over the weekend. Black, 37k, one owner, they were asking 10,800. Quite fair i thought.

However, plenty private sales around, it's just going to be a question of timing, and whats available when the Scoob goes.

I was planning to spend 11-12k max, so a private sale Viggen at 8-9k gives me a few grand extra to mod with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb] QUOTE
The garrett turbos are good, if i remember correctly from when i spoke to him, i'm sure Ylee Coyote is running a Garrett ? Cant quite remember...i'll PM him.[/b]
yep gttb30...

Bit laggy with the standard manifold however

(tubular one on the way)

One thing to watch... the b235 head flows really well but the pistons are a little weak above 300 hp
Maptun supplies upgraded ones for their stage 3 and above iirc...
[/qb][/b][/quote]Std exhaust manifold is just a way too restrictive for GT30BB. I assume you have done some porting to it, though...

One thing to note is GT30BB itself. It's very important to define your goals ( max bhp, drivable rev range ) before bying one; There are hundreds of different versions of this one available...

What comes to GT30bb:s with std exhaust manifold, it's a known fact ( read posts on the STCS forum, those are of course in swedish though, there are guys which have test this combination ) that this combination is a poor one what comes to drivability...

Of course one needs custom mapping for GT30BB, but I think you have been taken care of this.

BTW, GT series turbos can make you lots of troubles as well. These react very fast - often too fast for many engine management systems. They are also very expensive, but many thinks that if you want to be 'cool' and 'in' you have to go for it... One should remember, that turbos are just one piece of the system, and garrett's GT series is not a silver bullet what comes to serious tuning... IMHO There are plenty of other good turbos available for the more reasonable price there.

What are you exact specs in your application right now, Ylee Coyote ? ( which fuel pump, which injectors, compr/turb specs in your Gt30, cylinder head modifications, which camshafts, etc.). Have you dynoed your car ?

When done properly, one can pick 450 - 500bhp with gt30bb from B235R with quite good drivability. I have now maptun stage 5 in my 9-5, but if I would go for gt30bb, I have to change my turbo, tube exhaust housing, bigger injectors, new fuel pump, new downpipe and modify cylinder head. After that I should take my car for some tuner ( Maptun or Nordic ) to make me a proper software.

BTW, I have JE:s forged pistons in my current B235R. I have also one B235 engine ( and one gearbox ) under construction for serious power levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.