Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the story. I'm testing this octane additive made by Torco fuels. I put some in, and just for the heck of it, because there was a nice straight deserted stretch of road, I accellerate from 0-100.

Meanwhile I'm holding the camera, shifting VERY sloppy, trying to control torque steer
, but I wanted to see how this additive helped heat soak from 0-100.

I did NOT launch well at all. I didn't chirp the tires, I didn't shift hard or abnormally fast. To be honest, I was NOT expecting very good numbers. It was more or less just for fun because I was already testing this stuff anyway.

The temperature was 85 degrees F, and I had already heat soaked the living heck out of the car.

Now all I need is someone to upload the vid to!!

It's 7.8 MB which is too big for my e-mail. I'm going to upload it to WRX Fanatics.com as part of my testing for the fuel additive. If a member with some webspace would care to join that group, my screen name is "Thunderbolt" and I'll be posting in the engine and drivetrain section.

I start accellerating in the video at almost exactly t=3 seconds ... and reach 100 at almost exactly t = 17 seconds flat. You do the math!!

As soon as I have the videos uploaded to WRXfanatics.com I will post here again. Even I never thought it would go that fast!!!

Especially with a bad launch and one hand holding the camera! Not only that, but I took my "intake" off and replaced it with the stock one with a new Saab filter! All I have to say now is WOW!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No posts? I see recent visitors! It's a vid that is definitely worth a download! Hopefully someone will get a link here soon before everyone goes to sleep.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]I guess everyone is just totally speechless in awe of the world's greatest stock Viggen. [/qb][/b]
Have you gotten a chance to see it yet? They may all just be waiting for a link to here and haven't seen it yet.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even after joining the group and then downloading it? Sorry if I didn't make that clear. My fault.

Once you join you group you can download it, and it's just a .MOV ... so there shouldn't be any complications beyond that.

So far 19 downloads from WRXFanatics, and several people liked it there, so it must work!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Adrian, uppload the video to my ftp server.
You should have the username and password from last time. Use ftp adress 195.237.18.60

If you dont send me an email.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I uploaded it to your sever Vigge! Named zero_to_100.MOV Many thanks! Post the link when you get the chance.

If you can do it easily, others might appreciate if it were reduced in size so they don't have to d/l 7+ MB. But it matters not to me.

I woke up just now, and still had to watch the video to believe it. That is QUICK.

Adrian~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Kev Mc:
[qb]Just watched it - very impressive     Looks very, very fast     Is that someone beeping you at the end of the run? [/qb][/b]
Nooo that is my hand holding the camera also bumping the horn. I do it in nearly all of the videos by accident. The road I was on is 3 lanes wide, surrounded by deserted warehouses, and completely straight for miles without a car in sight. I wouldn't test any place dangerous.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In case anyone is interested, this is where I bought the stuff I was testing:

http://www.need4speedpower.com./torco.html

It works about as well as two gallons of Toluene/Xylene, or 5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded race fuel with 12 gallons of 91 AON unleaded. The difference being this is only a 32 ounce can and having the same effect!

If I experience any negative side affects (aside from extreme tire wear from extra
) I will be sure to report back of it.

Meanwhile ... other Viggen owners may wish to buy this stuff on a regular basis. I suggest this only because of known problems with Viggens cracking pistons due to knock. So far most of the cases have been on the autobahn, so all you German Viggen owners may wish to source something similar, but from a more local company.

The main Torco website doesn't list any European distributors, but it might be worth sending them an e-mail to find out. They may know of another company which targets the European market with the same product on a different name.

I have since convinced the rest of the family that this is a good idea for summer use. Normally virtually no power is available through the summer due to 100+ temps and only 91 octane. This may substantially alter that, and I'm certainly pleased with being able to make full use of my
in the heat of the day.

Dubbya~

edit: 17 gallons of 91 octane + 32 ounces of this stuff makes what they claim as about 95 AON octane. (Roughly 101-102 RON) Having mixed Xylene to nearly that exact octane many times I can say the effect really is essentially the same. I did note the Torco takes a little longer to mix evenly with the gas. This is simply because it is only displacing 32 ounces and does not mix as quickly.

Nevertheless the effect is nearly instantaneous and I felt it within a couple blocks of having poured it in. Which is about the amount of time it took the burn the 91 octane out of the fuel lines. Great stuff!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok, back to business

You can download the movie from
click here

Note, my server can't provide a fast download to every one, so please be patien. Also I would appriciate if this link does not spread through every single board on the net

Edit,
there is also a ~1.6Meg .wmv verison available of this movie.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would very much appreciate a copy of the 1.6 meg version! Then I can use my own bandwidth to show all of my buddies, most of whom have yet to see it and are somewhat skeptical. (understandably so)

What did you think of it Vigge? I wonder how blazingly fast your Viggen would be with some higher octane!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]I would very much appreciate a copy of the 1.6 meg version!  Then I can use my own bandwidth to show all of my buddies, most of whom have yet to see it and are somewhat skeptical.  (understandably so)

What did you think of it Vigge?  I wonder how blazingly fast your Viggen would be with some higher octane!    :eek:    

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
It does look like it is going

For comparison do you know what your car will do with "normal" gas on the same piece of road and conditions?

I'll not through anything into my gas tank before I make it to a dyno. I have a new verison of Maptun custom software in my car now and test are still going on. When I have the time I will make a similar movie.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]It does look like it is going    

For comparison do you know what your car will do with "normal" gas on the same piece of road and conditions?[/qb][/b]
I could only give a guesstimate.

I don't think it "added horsepower" as such. It's not any faster from 30-100 than in my other video. But in my other video conditions were different. It was 45 degrees, and I had a passenger. This time it was 85 and I did not.

Most of the magazines and tuners claim around 16 seconds. In the heat of the day, on 91 AON octane (about 95-97 RON) I can see that. And at night I could never get enough traction to give it full
in the first two gears because the tarmac was so cold.

The octane boost allows this car to see its full potential. Enough traction with warm pavement to make use of the power it normally only has when cool. Those on the East coast with 93 AON should be able to get similar results without any octane booster. Though I probably could have gotten these numbers on an even hotter day as 85 was no sweat for 95 AON octane.

Sorry for being so verbose! Obviously even I didn't expect these kinds of numbers with the experiences of other owners, magazines and tuners. I'm exceedingly pleased, though not overly suprised. This seems (to me) appropriate for a car with 213 wheel horsepower. Bill J got 0-100 in 12 seconds with 246 wheel horsepower if I remember correctly. Just seems about the right difference. Before now it was difficult to explain why my 213 whp "beast" took 16 seconds to get to 100, and was at a loss to prove them wrong. Finally things are starting to make sense!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very impressive, but think you could have done it even quicker if you werent holding the camera, and if you'd changed up into 4th, and used the 2.3's torque.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Neil M:
[qb]Very impressive, but think you could have done it even quicker if you werent holding the camera, and if you'd changed up into 4th, and used the 2.3's torque. [/qb][/b]
I had considered that, but the Viggen carries a great deal of top end as well. On my dyno run, despite reaching 213 wheel hp at 4,900 rpm, there was still over 205 wheel hp at 6,000 rpm. Changing a gear would have just meant a pause in accelleration that would have hindered it more than helped.

On a 9000 Aero it might be a totally different ball game. But then, they reach 100 well before redline in 3rd.

Fun stuff.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]On a 9000 Aero it might be a totally different ball game.  But then, they reach 100 well before redline in 3rd.[/qb][/b]
If you're thinking of my 0-100 video, bear in mind that I've lowered the final drive ratio. The standard Aero is much higher-geared than that!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts