Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick and easy one for you guys - have tried a search with no luck.
BHP of a Viggen(Europe)please - 205,210 or 230 or something else?

Mike

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that was quick but I suspected it might be - please ignore other posting - double clicked when I shouldn't have.

Mike

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've currently got one on loan from the garage while mine is having a bit of attention and frankly I'm not impressed. Compared to my tweaked 9000 SE ... well it doesn't compare; it's slower, ponderous even, the roadholding and stability isn't as good, and there's no "edge" to it. Furthermore the computer is indicating 26 mpg, which is only a tad better than what I get on LPG. The garage don't have a good opinion of them either, lots of engine issues. I reckon that when I upchange it'll be to a late model 9000 Aero, one that'll take the LPG conversion.

OF course it could be that the loaner car is in less than perfect running order.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had a similar impression after driving my modded 1999 9-3 back to back with a Viggen. Yes, a Viggen has very similar torque to my modded 2.0 liter, but my over all pull through the top end was much stronger and the engine feels much more willing to rev than the Viggen. Handling of a Viggen, just like any other 9-3, needs quite a bit of help and therefore, my 9-3 felt much better handling wise than said Viggen.

Of course, now that the mentioned Viggen has a Maptun Stage 3 setup, the torque and hp advantage is tremendous!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]Yes, a Viggen has very similar torque to my modded 2.0 liter, but my over all pull through the top end was much stronger and the engine feels much more willing to rev than the Viggen.  [/qb][/b]
Others have made similar comments comparing the 2.3 litre engines to my modded 2.0 litre engine which is freer revving.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do the bores and strokes compare? Is the 2.3 a bored out 2.0ltr, a longer stroke or is it different altogether?

Mike

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by LocoSaab:
[qb]How do the bores and strokes compare? Is the 2.3 a bored out 2.0ltr, a longer stroke or is it different altogether?

Mike [/qb][/b]
stroked.

2.0 78mm stroke*90mm
2.3 90mm stroke*90mm

i.e the 2.3 has a 6mm longer crank.

Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by LocoSaab:
[qb] How do the bores and strokes compare? Is the 2.3 a bored out 2.0ltr, a longer stroke or is it different altogether?

Mike [/qb][/b]
stroked.

2.0 78mm stroke*90mm
2.3 90mm stroke*90mm

i.e the 2.3 has a 6mm longer crank.

Andrew [/qb][/b][/quote]Has anyone done the 2.0 -> 2.3L stroker crank mod?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
It has been discussed lots on the C900 boards of other sites, but there isn't enough clearance to the sump bottom/gearbox top.

For the old C900's you need to make a spacer up to go between the gearbox and engine, with a suitable lengthning of the transfer chain. while not putting the top of the engine through the bonnet.

I would work on a 9000/NG900 etc (crank, rods, pistons).

Andrew

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Shhh! Silence Vigge I can do that too. Maybe slightly less quickly though.

And hey, the Viggen may not have "edge" but it still goes damn fast around corners if you can hold on!
Just feels akward doing it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
And hey, the Viggen may not have "edge" but it still goes damn fast around corners if you can hold on! Just feels akward doing it.

I once sat next to Dan (used to work at Abbott) whilst he chucked my car around that winding road next to the Abbott's garage. Untill he took a sharp bend at 60mph, I had never known that it was possible in my car. Scared? Me? Of course I was .

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Kev Mc:
[qb]  QUOTE
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb] 230 hp 258 lb ft of torque on the MY00 and later AND ... it can do this:

http://195.237.18.37/viggen/adrian.wmv    

[/qb][/b]
That does look quick
[/qb][/b][/quote]Here is a similar video, with viggen stage I
Viggen stage I (2 Mb)
(accelerations in 3rd, 5th, 3rd gear)

I will make a new video, when I get all of my Stage III coponents installed. Well I had all the parts but the car would not start with the stage III Ecu. I guess there was something wrong with the product, because "marrying" it with tech did not help.New ECU should arrived next week.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts